• Trackage around entrance to Ft. McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by Spartan Phalanx

Who operates the trackage around the entry/exit portals of the Fort McHenry Tunnel on I-95 in Baltimore? I used that route this past weekend to go to the airshow at Andrews AFB, and while I saw a great amount and variety of rolling stock, I didn't see any motive power. I saw a long cut of TBOX high-cube boxcars spotted at a customer right next to 95. Anybody know what customer this is? I don't think I've ever seen such a long cut of cars from the same line spotted at one customer. Thanks.

by BaltOhio

Going south at on the north side of the tunnels, you passa mixture of ownerships. First are the Bay View yards of both CSXT (ex-B&O) and NS (ex-PRR/PC/CR) as well as Amtraks NEC mainline. Then comes CSXT's Penn Mary yard, shared with the Canton RR (which originally served the now-closed GM Broening Highway plant in Highlandtown), then, just before the tunnel entrace, the ex-PRR/PC/CR (now NS) Canton yards.

At the south end of the tunnel, you're strictly in CSXT territory, passing the Locust Point yard and Riverside engine terminal (now used strictly by MARC) and followed by CSXT's (ex-B&O) mainline.