• Newark Broad Street track/platform realignment

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Sirsonic

Well first, don't call me Sir unless your running for office and you want my vote... :wink: I havent been knighted...yet.

Regardless, while the entire length of the platform on track 3 would be usable for trains using track 3, only the east half that is currently in service will be used for now. I don't know why, but it is not due to a problem with the height of the platform. The platform on the track 1 side is much higher than the track due to the pending replacement of the MLK Blvd bridge. The bridge will be raised to provide better vertical clearance for traffic below.

Track 2 will, I believe, be OOS until the MLK bridge and its own high platform are completed. Concurrently with this project the south retaining wall through the Roseville Ave cut will be tended to in the same manner as the north wall.

The bridge on track 1 will not be replaced in that one week. Unless they work 24/7, then maybe they could, although I believe the concrete would need more time than that to cure...

by NJTRailfan

I can't wait to see it for myself when I get back on Memorial Day Weekend. I also plan to come back again sometime around july so they should have progress even further. Maybe the bridge will be replaced by then and either in or very close to being back in service by Mid July (or atleast my wishful thinking) :-D

by geoffand

Work seems to have slowed pace in the last few weeks. Unless they are working in areas I can't see, it almost seems like nothing has been done in the past week.

They may be so far ahead of schedule the construction firm took a break from this project to get another project back on schedule. Just a thought.

The work is definitely not progressing at the same rate it has been a month ago.

by Idiot Railfan

My train tonight took the new westbound track through Broad Street.

Passengers getting on at Broad Street on the left side of the train? Threw me off for the rest of the day!

by The Rising

Hello all,

I have found this thread most interesting. Please, keep up the great work of documenting this project.

I'm gonna offer my own speculation here. Once again, it is speculation. :wink:

My gut tells me that NJT will take the center track OOS next. This would allow them to remove the steel over MLK without having to disturb either track 2 or track 3. It would likely be similiar to how NJT did bridge replacements along the RVL. Once the track 1 span was removed, they could pour the new footings for the new track 1 span. This would allow the concrete enough time to cure (30 - 60 days) before they would place the new bridge steel on top of it.

I would also expect to see NJT erect a temporary retaining wall to contain the fill for the new track 1 road bed on both sides of MLK, since it will likely be a few feet higher than the adgacent track 2. When the new bridge steel is ready to be installed, and I would expect to see NJT take track 2 out of service the same weekend they "insert" the new bridge for track 1 on the new bridge abutments.

(Remember how Amtrak "inserted" new bridges on the NEC near Metro Park! It was all done over a weekend. New bridge in, old one out! and that was two tracks at a time!!!!)

I would expect NJT's crack production gang would likely complete putting track 1 back in service on the new span in no time at all. With two tracks once again in service, I'd expect to the see track 2 removed through the station platform area, the track 2 bridge steel over MLK having come out with the "insert" of the new track 1 bridge. this would give work crews an area to work in front of the station.

I would then expect NJT to finish pouring the new bridge abutments for the new track 2 span next.

Once the concrete cured, I would expect NJT to finish building the new track 2 span over MLK. This would then allow construction equipment to use the location of the removed track 2 to access the platform area.

(think: what is the best way to get materials to construct the new platform close to the site where you want to put them in!)

Once the platforms are completed, expect NJT to restore track 2 and reopen the eastbound station building.

Well, that's enough "speculating" for me today.

See ya all later........

by Mark Schweber

Sirsonic wrote:
Track 2 will, I believe, be OOS until the MLK bridge and its own high platform are completed. Concurrently with this project the south retaining wall through the Roseville Ave cut will be tended to in the same manner as the north wall.
I hope not in the same manner. IMO they did a poor job on the north wall. While the spots they patched appear to have been patched well they left quite a few crumbling sections and holes in the wall. This will allow water to get behind the wall causing damage, even to the patched areas. It seems to be a half-arsed job that should be made right, especially if it is contractor who is to be blamed.

by ryanov

I'd have to agree... I'd expect them to have handled that wall by taking parts out and pouring molds to cover cracked areas, not patching parts like a living room wall. It certainly doesn't LOOK fixed in my trips through there. I'm no scientist, but... I think this one looks fishy to me.

by Idiot Railfan

So, please, somebody tell me what the plans are to reconcile the high-level platform and the historic low-level station at Broad Street.

Surely somebody must know.

And I didn't mean to call you Shirley.

by Tri-State Tom

IR -
So, please, somebody tell me what the plans are to reconcile the high-level platform and the historic low-level station at Broad Street.
It'll be a challenge space wize but to this layman it looks like a high-level platform with stairs down into the present doorways of the old station building can be done. We're obviously going to lose the old canopy in favor of a new, higher type and how/where they attach that to the building - and still maintain the estetics - will be interesting.

BTW, will also be curious if the new eastbound high-level platform will have it's own separate bridge structure over MLK to the extension beyond.

by ryanov

The real problem will be the areas right by the door. For example, right now, the door comes out into a small area that's a little lower than the platform. If you walk directly out the door and straight toward the tracks, you'd eventually run into a railing that would make for a decent separation between the "pit" for the stairs and the new high platform (see this photo). However, the space between the other side of that railing and the platform edge isn't much room. I think even one person standing there would make it difficult for another person to get around them. Losing your balance and ending up with one foot in the ballast isn't so bad on a low platform, but a high seems like that tiny space might be an issue... I'd estimate it's only 2-3 feet wide in that spot. I've never seen this done at another station that was this close to the tracks.

by The Rising

Hello all,

I remember asking similiar questions myself many years ago when NJT was putting in the high level platform in summit.

How were they gonna make it work?

Would it look right?

Well, many years latter, and after far to many cocktails too, I don't recall anymore how the platform/stair configuration at Summit looked before the high level platforms :( !!

However, When I look at what NJT did at Summit, I'm pretty sure Newark won't be too difficult to accomplish.

Hopefully, somebody with a better memory than mine can refresh my fading memory on how Summit looked before the new platforms. I might be willing to make an educated guess on what they mite do at Newark.

After all, speculating is indeed fun!!!

Anyway, that's all for now folks.

See ya all later...

by geoffand

The interior restoration work on the historic eastbound station has begun. Today I noticed they were stripping layers of varnish off the window trimmings. Up until this point, it has been mainly demo work in the area the police station used to occupy. They also spray painted a line where it looks like they want a temporary construction wall to be built blocking access to the interior stairs going to the Track 2 platform--that is only speculation.

by NJTRailfan

How long is the restoration work is supposed to take? The entire summer? I would hope that for security reasons NJT will still maintain a police station there.

by Jishnu

Tri-State Tom wrote:IR -
It'll be a challenge space wise but to this layman it looks like a high-level platform with stairs down into the present doorways of the old station building can be done. We're obviously going to lose the old canopy in favor of a new, higher type and how/where they attach that to the building - and still maintain the aesthetics - will be interesting.
I agree that there will be enough space even by the doorways. The space between the railing and platform edge by the doorways is about 5', just checked today.

According to elevation diagrams posted in the station the new canopy will look pretty much like the canopy on the new platform. it will be about three feet or so higher than the current one and will be attached to the building right below its roof line. It will be interesting to see how they handle the interface between the main building roof and the canopy at the west end of the building.
BTW, will also be curious if the new eastbound high-level platform will have it's own separate bridge structure over MLK to the extension beyond.
Looks like it will have its own bridge structure over MLK. It is amazing how much higher the new platform and track will be than the current track level at that end. The reataining wall that has already been cast pretty much marks the height of the final platform.

by Tri-State Tom

Rising -

Re: Summit vs. Newark-Broad

It's a fair analogy to a point.

Raising the island platform at Summit to high-level was relatively simple not requiring much fuss. The end result was a shorter climb on the stairways up to a new enclosed overhead patron walkway. An elevator was also added.

The westbound platform conversion to high-level necessatated some remodeling ( elimination ? ) of an inside stairway and 1 dorway at track level. The outside stairways were simply melded into the new high-level platform which again resulted in a shorter climb up to street level.

IMO, since Summit's ROW is down in a cut, the job was easier. N-B being an elevated ROW, makes it a bit more complicated to meld the existing 3-story station doorways/stairs with the new high-level platform.

Jish -
It is amazing how much higher the new platform and track will be than the current track level at that end. The reataining wall that has already been cast pretty much marks the height of the final platform.
When now coming eastbound on I-280 in daytime you really can see the rise in the island platform coming toward you out to MLK. It kinda looks similar to those old WWII war films of British aircraft carriers that had a rising flip on the end of their flight decks to help get planes airborn.