• Unknown Reporting Marks

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Eric Kreszl

Hello,

I saw on a video Some freight cars with reporting marks that I didn't know and I was wondering if anyone knew what the companies these reporting marks are for.

The Reporting marks are

1. RFMX

2. NTLX

3. NHLX

4. NKCR

5. SSPX

If anyone knows please let me know.

Eric

by Lirr168

While we appreciate your asking nicely, please do a google search before you come on here!

The following link has all the info you need: http://www.trainscan.com/data/mark/mark_m.html

by CSX Conductor

LIRR, thanks for that link. :-)

by dhaugh

No offense, but nearly any question on railroad.net could be answered if a person searched hard enough. I don't think someone should be chastised for asking a legitimate question that fits the forum.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

I was spanked because my search engine didn't find something but the Mods did...

by Lirr168

dhaugh wrote:No offense, but nearly any question on railroad.net could be answered if a person searched hard enough. I don't think someone should be chastised for asking a legitimate question that fits the forum.
In most cases I am inclined to agree with you, but some people just ask question after question without making any effort on their own. All one has to do is type one of those reporting marks into Google (which is most cases is integrated right into the browser toolbar) and that site I linked to would pop up. Is there anyone here who actually knew all those reporting marks off the top of their head? I doubt it, which means whoever was going to answer it was just going to have to type it into a search engine anyway! People first searching on their own would just cut out the middle man.

by dhaugh

I suppose that's true, although I know I sometimes ask questions here and on other sites that I could look up once I got home from work (say by looking at maps), but tend to post the question before I forget what I wanted to know. As for reporting marks, I have a few sources on the internet & some lists printed out, but every once in awhile I find ones not on any of my lists. But, yeah, being a teacher, I don't like to just give answers out, so in that regard I agree.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

I found this site doing research on AEM-7 900 & 903. Over the last 4 months, very little new information about the units has surfaced but the information surfaced because I asked questions on this site.

by scharnhorst

http://www.rrdepot.com/prototype/marksearch.php

use this link above just type in the marks insted of searching hundreds of them in a list.

by Eric Kreszl

THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK! :-D :wink:

by dhaugh

I saw one yesterday - IFRX - that was not on any list I have, nor cuold I get the previously mentioned rrdepot link to work. Anyone know this reporting mark? I tend to jot down the unusual ones I see...

by MikeF

IFRX is Infinity Rail LLC.

by dhaugh

Thanks - where'd you find that out?

by MikeF

Had an IFRX car in my train a few days ago, went home and couldn't find it in any lists, so I typed IFRX reporting mark into Google and up came a few links that said Infinity Rail LLC in the description.