• Baltimore MTA car headed west on flatbed semi.

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by Aa3rt

Travelling east on Route 70 yesterday, (Tuesday, March 23rd) just west of Frederick, Maryland, I was suprised to see a Baltimore MTA car on the back of a flatbed semi headed west. Does anyone have any idea where it was headed and why?

by Phil Hom

Was it a LRV, or a Metro subway car?

by Aa3rt

It was a subway car-sorry, three weeks later now and I don't remember the name on the semi cab hauling it.

by RailMike

I heard once that the DC Metrorail cars were hauled (by highway, ironically) to the Amtrak shops in Beech Grove, IN for service. Perhaps that's where the Baltimore Metro cars are repaired also?

by Phil Hom

I has to do a google search on this subject. These 18 years old cars are receiving a mid-life overhaul. I haven't come across on who is doing it for how. I'll have to check around.
  by va08creeper

I have seen Metro load two of their cars onto flat bed trailer trucks.

These trailers were of a very special design. The wheels of the trailers are steerable. As I remember it, there were four sets of wheels at the rear of the trailer. I think the tractor might have also had steerable rear wheels.

David
  by Sand Box John

"RailMike"
I heard once that the DC Metrorail cars were hauled (by highway, ironically) to the Amtrak shops in Beech Grove, IN for service. Perhaps that's where the Baltimore Metro cars are repaired also?

The Breda car contract US final assembly was done at Amtrak’s shops in Beech Grove Illinois. All subsequent off property rehabilitation work on the Breda car has been done by Alstom in Hormel New York.

"Phil Hom"]
I has to do a google search on this subject. These 18 years old cars are receiving a mid-life overhaul. I haven't come across on who is doing it for how. I'll have to check around.

The rehabilitation contract for the Baltimore cars was originally awarded to the AAI subsidiary of United Industrial Corp. it was purchased by Alstom.

The reason why the car were seen on MD I-70 is because the I-81 corridor is used to travel north to Hormel New York.

"va08creeper"
I have seen Metro load two of their cars onto flat bed trailer trucks.

These trailers were of a very special design. The wheels of the trailers are steerable. As I remember it, there were four sets of wheels at the rear of the trailer. I think the tractor might have also had steerable rear wheels.

The rig used is stretched a lowboy. I have seen them several times. The trailer has 12 wheels on 3 axels, the tractor also has a third axel under the fifth wheel giving it a total of 14 wheels.