• Third-rail Electrification

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.

by Leo Sullivan

John W's switch description is the most detailed I've seen, in spite of being interested in the Braintree-Cohasset electrification for years. For what was a significant venture, it is very poorly documented. The description would seem to indicate a single shoe per car. I have seen a letter from June 1904
authorising removal of wire at road crossings ("it is unlikely that we will use it again"). As for wire at stations, I've seen no definite information on the extent. Apparently that was removed at leisure as it was on company property. The big open cars probably had similar motors, they ended up doing the work for which the baggage cars were originally intended.
In fact, the baggage motors may have already been de-motorised by the time the Cohasset line was electrified. I dont remember why they were deemed unsuitable, just that they were.
I just read the instructions in a 1904 Highland Div. WTT and the only information of use to this discussion was that a maximum of three motors were allowed on the line at any time except by special arrangement.
Probably power limitations? Nantasket was seasonal until they went over to AC distribution. Probably that was also the situation on the adjacent third rail line as they shut down the power station in the winter. Presumably, if things had worked out, more suitable supplies would have been provided on a large scale. Though I live in the area, I have always found the New Haven DC electrifications to be the most obscure. Some lasted until the 30s but, the early days are shrouded in mystery. There is a 1981 book on the Nantasket Branch but, it is very anectdotal and completely lacks technical information.
LS