Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by SubaruWRX

since my shots of the Subway was not that impressive last year I figure I would go back and give it a try.

First of all trying to figure out which station is going to be safe to shoot at without the fear of someone wanting to take all my camera equipment. And also the elevated lines which have ample room to shoot.

From what I was told the 7 train has the most stops that are elevated but the F/G trains at the last stop is the highest elevated line.

He told me to stay off the A, J, Z and M lines unless I don't want to go home without my cameras.

Anyone have any tips on which areas to shoot from and what not?
  by Love Train

SubaruWRX wrote:since my shots of the Subway was not that impressive last year I figure I would go back and give it a try.

First of all trying to figure out which station is going to be safe to shoot at without the fear of someone wanting to take all my camera equipment.
NOBODY will take your camera equipment. Photography is LEGAL, so long as you don't use flash or a tripod.

And also the elevated lines which have ample room to shoot.

From what I was told the 7 train has the most stops that are elevated but the F/G trains at the last stop is the highest elevated line.
Here are the best photo spots (in no particular order): Whitlock Av (6), Coney Island/Stillwell Av (D)(F)(N)(Q), 125 St (1), West Farms Square/East Tremont Av (2)(5), Bedford Park Blvd (4), 161 St/Yankee Stadium (4), Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
He told me to stay off the A, J, Z and M lines unless I don't want to go home without my cameras.
Whoever told you that doesn't know his city geography very well. Ignore him.

by pennsy

Hi,

Undoubtedly the best possibilities are the stations where you have major free transfers from one line to another. The one that comes to mind is in Brooklyn, and all three lines come together there with a free transfer. I remember taking a long escalator ride up to the uppermost elevated line, probably the Canarsie line of the BMT, when coming from the A train, underground. Just looking out from the uppermost platform you had a tremendous view of the city.
  by y2julio

Love Train wrote:
Right, cause even though I've been living in NYC since I was 3. I don't know the neighborhoods that these trains pass by, since you living all the way in DC would know better then a native NYer. The OP also wasn't referring to the cops, but rather about passenger safety.
Last edited by y2julio on Sat May 12, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by y2julio

pennsy wrote:Hi,

Undoubtedly the best possibilities are the stations where you have major free transfers from one line to another. The one that comes to mind is in Brooklyn, and all three lines come together there with a free transfer. I remember taking a long escalator ride up to the uppermost elevated line, probably the Canarsie line of the BMT, when coming from the A train, underground. Just looking out from the uppermost platform you had a tremendous view of the city.
The transfer point that you are talking about is "Broadway Junction" on the A/C, J/Z, L line. While it might look high, the Smith/9th stop on the F/G line is the highest.
  by Love Train

y2julio wrote:
Love Train wrote:
Right, cause even though I've been living in NYC since I was 3. I don't know the neighborhoods that these trains pass by, since you living all the way in DC would know better then a native NYer. The OP also wasn't referring to the cops, but rather about passenger safety.
Oh please. I've railfanned those spots that you call unsafe many times with ZERO trouble. The subways are 100% safe.

Now the surrounding areas of the stations...that's a different story. But within the confines of the subway, there's nowhere that isn't safe.
  by y2julio

Love Train wrote:But within the confines of the subway, there's nowhere that isn't safe.
Tell that to my boss who had his blackberry stolen from him while he rode the L train that passes by that area. People from the surrounding areas DO ride the trains TOO.

by SubaruWRX

I can't remember where I was back in 2005 (lost on the subway) but thats when I found out the subway had 2 levels and I took which seemed like the steepest escalator ride back up to the first level.

Nevertheless Im all set to go