• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by james1787

Hey if the NIMBY's move out.. I'm movin' in!! :) That would be awesome - sit out on your back porch and watch the train go by..

by CNJFAN

To RVRRHS,
I do agree that the real estate people were as you said unscrupulous, and it is true that I failed to consider the newer residents, but the residents that I was referring to were the Kenilworth one's for the most part.
Alot of these people were there during the operating days of the RVRR.
It is like I said before, they illegally encroahed onto railroad property.
It is sad that the real estate people stated that the rail lines were abandoned when indeed they were not.
They were only ( OUT OF SERVICE ) and that makes alot of difference.
My heart does go out to the people that were lied to but I think that I would have been very leary of any railroad track near any house that I would have considered purchasing.
Then again, I think that could be a dream come true for me because I am very fond of trains.
I hope this has cleared up a couple of things for you.
Thanks for your response to my post.

by Camelback

Once the trains are running the majority of the people living in Roselle Park, Kenilworth and Springfield will wonder what all the fuss was about.

by AndyB

Did an "inspection" tour of the Rahway Valley after work today.

In Roselle Park, the Woodside Rd. crossing was closed and a new crossing has been installed. The crossing is still closed. Approaches to the crossing still have to be filled in with macadam.

New track has been installed from north of the Woodside crossing to just short of West Colfex Ave. crossing. Track is being laid with 131 lb. jointed rail and with, as far as I know the first around here, PLASTIC ties. Every third tie is a composite plastic tie. The other two are wood.

by rvrrhs

AndyB wrote:Track is being laid with 131 lb. jointed rail and with, as far as I know the first around here, PLASTIC ties. Every third tie is a composite plastic tie. The other two are wood.
Take THAT, NIMBYs! Environmentally-friendly recycled non-creosote PLASTIC!!!

by The Rising

FYI, Those crossties are manufactured right here in NJ !!

Polywood, Inc. of Edison makes the ties. The process was developed by two Rutgers University professors. The first Polywood ties were installed on the BR&W RR a number of years ago. Since then, over one million of them have been installed around the country. For more information got to:

http://www.polywood.com/crossties/crossties.html

These ties cost appoximately 35 to 40 percent more than wood ties, but have a life expectancy of over twice as long as a wood tie. At the end of their service life, they can be recycled again. A truly renewable resource. I recently priced these ties for a couple of projects I'm working on. They're the real deal.

by Ken W2KB

I wonder if this material would have an application for utility poles? If it could withstand the bending moment from wind? There are some areas where it would be cost effective for poles.

by CGRLCDR

I was just over inspecting progress on the SIRR in Cranford. It looks like they are ready to roll; new ties and bedding in place, track as straight as an arrow, and the switches appear operational. It looks like now they are improving the yard in Cranford. The crossing lights look like they'll need some work.

Work on the LVRR appears to be progressing more slowly. It looks like nothing has been accomplished with the encroachers, but construction continues on the open sections. Does anyknow if there's any legal action being taken with the encroachers? What's the strategy for dealing with them?

What are the implications if they open the SIRR first, followed much later by the LVRR? Is it even important to have the tow lines linked and operational?

by Ken W2KB

There have been letters sent to encroachers from what I understand. There would be no need to take legal action since a property owner may legally remove any encroachment at any time. The legal ball would be in the encroacher's seeking a TRO against removing the encroachment.

by wis bang

This week i noticed that the amount of ties piled north of the Boulevard in Kenilworth had increased. the tie piles almost come out to the street. It looks like the extras from elsewhere were brought here. maybe we'll see some action from there towards Rt 22.
  by fox7344

The crossings in the beechwood/colfax avenue area continue to progress and should be finished by now.will take a look either tonight or tomarrow.Railroad construction rather then "Tracks Unlimited" in plainfield is doing the work.I guess railroad construction has more equipment germain to finishing this type of grade work and in an efficient manner.Their little bulldozer for instance is exactly the correct width of a standard right of way for rail bed.I heard that tracks unlimited was supposed to get to do the route 22 crossing which will be paid for by the new jersey state dept. of transportation.That is supposed to be done in sections that are pre fabricated and laid in place late at night so as not to stop traffic during peak hours.Also be aware that those encroachers are leasing that property from the county of union and will be given if the have not already been given notices to vacate the premises within 30 days time.That is my understanding from my county contact.

by RVRR Resurrected

How can the county lease land that is owned by the state? If that's the case, seems like that contract is already null and void eh?

by ChooChooHead2

Maybe the State and/or Union County can pursue collecting back-taxes from all the encroachers who used public property as their own.

The Biggest Little Railroad is coming! You can't stop it now :P

by Camelback

The notion that the M&E will operate into Port Reading Junction might be a misunderstanding. Apparently they will be delivering pellets to Federal Plastics in Cranford which is currently delivered as part of a weekly drill that originates in Manville. However, my understanding is that the M&E will take over that one customer, delivering directly from Bayway along the former SIRR and onto the Garwood industrial track on NJT's Raritan Valley Line.

by CNJFAN

I would be guessing on the exact time but Federal Plastic in Cranford has not received a covered hopper car in approx. 5-6 months.