• UP Management retirement vs normal retirement?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Pj

I have heard from a few people, that if you can stand it...to get into UP management for 5 years (MOP, etc) and get vested in that retirement and then go back into your senority for the rest of the career if possible.

Is the UP Management retirement program still a part of the RRB program, or just a company package, and what more advantage does it give you?

by paddy78

The UP management retirement program (called the Harriman Pension) is completely seperate from the RRB stuff. It is a true, old fashioned pension that you don't pay anything into it and still get something out. Yup, it takes five years to get vested, then you are entitled to a percentage of your ending salary depending on how many years you were in management. Guys who spend most of thier careers in managment are very well taken care of, guys who spend 5 years and then get out still get something, but not as much as the myths say. But it is free money, you just have to suffer being a manager for at least 5 years....

Other downside to consider is the fact that it is a pension and not too many of those are surviving in this world anymore. Sure the RR is doing fine now, but what about 10 or 15 years from now? If they hit the rocks, I promise you that your pension will be the first thing to go....just ask the guys at United Airlines how that one works....

by Pj

Thanks for the reply. What I forgot to ask...is management removed from RRB or will they recieve both RR Retirement and Management retirement when the day comes?

by DutchRailnut

They get both just as if you had a defined benefit plan for retirement.