• Cortland Traffic next weekend

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Martin Goller

I'll be in Cortland Sat 4/28 pm and Sunday most of the day. I am not familiar at all with the Q traffic patterns.
Any chance to catch a train through there on the weekend?

Thank you for any info,

Martin

by Otto Vondrak

Martin-

I don't know about "through" trains, but you can always do what I do when I'm passing through on I-81- swing on down to the Cortland station and see if anything is going on. You might find a loco in the small yard next to the depot, or you might find a crew switching out the lumber yard nearby. There might be someone in the depot who could tell you what's going on, but they might not be willing to share info and might ask you to leave. Be courteous, don't walk on the tracks, and you'll be fine.

-otto-

by amoreho1

i ve noticed only a few trains before and only a couple trains now here in the cortland area
  by Martin Goller

Thank you for the advice and directions. I didn't catch anything operating, but for a first time visit, the two depots and a Q caboose were interesting enough. Was fun. The LV depot could use some help, though. Gorgeous tile roof...

Cortland's finest on the other hand are a whole other story...

On my way to Cortland, I stopped by a the Ithaca Railfair. Got some nice Cortland DL&W steam era shots...

Need to make that trip again with less rain, and I'll use my turn signal EVERYWHERE in Cortland...

Martin

by TB Diamond

Martin: If you get to Cortland again, drop down to Owego Street where you will find the remnant of the old Lehigh Valley roundhouse.

by Steve F45

when i was in cortland for maplefest i was using google earth on my laptop and to follow this one spur that was kinda close to my fiancee's aunts house. I noticed it had what appeared to be an old station on it. Who's was this?

by RSD15

sounds like the Lehigh Valley depot.

by TB Diamond

2005Vdub: If you were on South Avenue just off Main Street then the the station you saw was the old Lehigh Valley Railroad passenger station. The next building on the same side of the street was the LVRR freight station, now much changed in appearance since 1976. Last I knew it was a carpet or furniture store.