• Average time train gets to Bailey Rd.

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Luther Brefo

Does anyone happen to know on average what time the northbound train hits Bailey Road? I need to get a scanner.

by Otto Vondrak

A scanner wont help you- the only time LAL jumps on the radio is when they want to talk to the CSX dispatcher as they approach Mortimer (usually to see if CSX is sending anything down the West Shore that might foul the LAL track as they head to Genesee Jct.- like odd dimensional loads or something). I've seen the crews communicate with Nextels when they are just switching anywhere else on the LAL.

If the crew goes on duty at 7:30am in Lakeville, it's a good bet that you want to be in Avon no later than 8:30am. Their arrival at Bailey Road depends on whether they do work at Avon- switch the yard, Kraft, and the grain siding, and you've easily added another hour and a half.

-otto-

by Luther Brefo

Didn't think the scanner would. As you may or may not know, my new residence is by some of the least used trackage ont eh LA&L (Commerce Blvd.) Bailey road is maybe a quarter mile down the road. On Monday, a train was northbound pretty early in the AM. My plan was to catch it at 9 AM but that did not happen. They were gone by then. I woke up to non CSX horns and rumbling Alcos but in my stupor, was too slow to get out there.

Tomorrow I plan to catch them at the crossing.

by Otto Vondrak

I was just thinking- the only time they would be on the radio, they would be on the CSX channel... if you hear "LAL 420 to the NF dispatcher..." then you know where they are at (probably hanging back by Firestone/"MORT")!

-otto-

by railwatcher

Lately, the radio traffic heard is also "......#420 leaving mainline" or ".....returning to mainline." when going down the Avon Industrial Spur to and from Kraft. Pending on Scanner strength and radio wattage, I doubt you would hear this or the yard switching done between the engine and the crew. Hand helds are usually 5 or less watts.

Average time out of Avon is around 10 am.

Greg

by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:Lately, the radio traffic heard is also "......#420 leaving mainline" or ".....returning to mainline." when going down the Avon Industrial Spur to and from Kraft. Pending on Scanner strength and radio wattage, I doubt you would hear this or the yard switching done between the engine and the crew. Hand helds are usually 5 or less watts.

Greg
Thanks.

by keeper1616

railwatcher wrote:Lately, the radio traffic heard is also "......#420 leaving mainline" or ".....returning to mainline." when going down the Avon Industrial Spur to and from Kraft. Pending on Scanner strength and radio wattage, I doubt you would hear this or the yard switching done between the engine and the crew. Hand helds are usually 5 or less watts.

Greg
Actually - there is no 'wattage' for scanners, nor strength. The watts (strength of signal) only applies to the transmitter. The main factor in recieving the signal would be the antenna length (tuning) and the quality of the reciever (can it dial in tight enough) If you're concerned about getting railroad signals, but not much else, I would recommend spending the money on a high quality VHF antenna (1/4 or 1/2 wave) and putting it on the side of the building that faces the direction you are listening to. A good antenna and mount shouldn't run you more than $30-$50 if you go to a radio store.

by Aji-tater

You totally misunderstood what he said. Nobody is saying scanners have watts - he's saying that when the crew is switching, with the conductor using a hand-held radio, those transmissions to the engine are from a fairly low powered trasmitter and will not be heard by someone with a scanner unless the scanner is fairly close to the switching operation.
  by Matt Langworthy

lutherkb wrote:Does anyone happen to know on average what time the northbound train hits Bailey Road? I need to get a scanner.
I used to work on Jefferson Road near the LAL crossing, and the time the train got there could really vary. Some days it was rolling thru at 8:30AM, on others it was 10 or 11AM and on occasion it was after lunch. On a very few instances during the winter, LAL would actually arrive in Henrietta near twilight.

Moral of the story: arise early and be prepared to wait.
  by Luther Brefo

Matt Langworthy wrote: Moral of the story: arise early and be prepared to wait.
Sounds about right... :-)

by Otto Vondrak

It has been my experience... If the train departs Avon by 9:00-9:15am, they generally arrive at the former block limit MORT behind Firestone in Henrietta by 10:30am.

If they have work to do at the Kraft plant or Howlett's, add one hour to that schedule. Which means they may not leave Avon until 10:00-10:15, reaching Henrietta after 11:00am.

Of course, all this is subject to change.... depending on the crew, weather, traffic...

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Luther Brefo

And I thought this thread was long dead... :-)
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by railwatcher

Agi Tater did catch my drift concerning the radio and wattages. When working the Avon yard I receive two way conversation between Cab and Crew. As they get to Howletts the portable transmissions are sometimes illegible. For those who dont know, I reside about 1/2 way to Kraft down the Industrial Spur. Being former volunteer fire fighter I have had alot of experience in purchasing and dispatching radios and with hand held radios, the best only reach out about 2 miles, with accuracy.

As for current traffic, there has been little Kraft traffic, I am sure that's seasonal, they pulled cars from the building and left them on the track. Avon yard has several tank cars sitting.

From here to Mort . Otto is about on the mark at 1 hour. Depending on the conditions and crew. Usual Kraft and Howlett stops are AM but have been PM stops, based upon??? (who knows?) 25 mph with some slow areas.

Greg

by Conrail4evr

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could pick up the locomotive talking at least from your place. With my mobile setup in my car, I have no problems picking stuff up 20-30 miles away clearly...it's all a matter of what you're using. Get a decent radio (note that I say radio and not scanner) along with an antenna tuned to the rail band, and you should be set. A 5/8 wave tuned antenna is about the best you'll get, unless you want to try one of those obscure models. Anyhow, with the above setup, I think that if you get the antenna a bit off the ground, you'll have no problems picking up the locomotive talking down in Avon or even Lakeville.