Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: As mentioned in other MNCR topics that there are 20 or so M1 cars being placed in reserve for future service to Yankee Stadium-Does anyone have the exact remaining #s of these remaining M1 cars? Were they kept because of their condition and recent overhaul work as I suspect? Does anyone have any specifics on these cars and are they still being used in any way? The LIRR for comparison is saving just two pairs for static display-9547-8 and 9745-6. Potentially there will be more MNCR M1s for eventual preservation. In my opinion the interest in the M1 cars is definitely there-the turnout of the LIST Farewell fantrip last November was an example-I went on that trip myself. Thanks to all in advance-MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

There are 30 M-1a's still in service on a limited basis one train that seems to get them is a Hudson line train leaving GCT around 18:20.
No I don't have numbers but I am sure some rivet counter will provide them

by peak-layover

I'll look around but I believe there are a few in the 821x's and i believe I saw 8372-3. I'll try to get specific numbers.

by LNJ614

Hey dude. Jaap is absolutely right. There is a train that goes to croton harmon and most of the time he has M-1's and its a 8 car train-I should know because he leaves off of track 111 and I leave off of track 112 with a express train to New haven.(Train 1570)
Last edited by LNJ614 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

Now dont quote me on this, but the M1s tend to run as 769. Alot of times he passes up track 4. I dont know the exact car numbers of all the sets, but i have seen 8337 leads one consist, and I believe the other one is 8213 or 14. Dont quote me, but before i went on vacation thats what i remember seeing as of last thursday evening.....

by DutchRailnut

3 of 4 pair tonight were 8337-336 --8243-242 -- 8349-348 did not catch numbers on north pair.

by Jeff Smith

When the M-8's come on line, will they hold back some M-2's from retirement for similar Yankee Stadium service? What will they do in the meanwhile, assuming the stadium opens (2009) before the M-8's see substantial revenue service?

by DutchRailnut

Will they is far to speculative to answer, I have no Idea how CDOT's finacial outlook is to maintain M-2's past retirement.
I am not even sure if CDOT wants to go to Yankee stadium unless a New England team is about to beat the Yankees. :P :P :P

by Jeff Smith

DutchRailnut wrote:Will they is far to speculative to answer, I have no Idea how CDOT's finacial outlook is to maintain M-2's past retirement.
I am not even sure if CDOT wants to go to Yankee stadium unless a New England team is about to beat the Yankees. :P :P :P
:-D That hurts, especially after this weekend! Good point on the cost of maintaining them. Maybe just the ones that have been through CSR. You do raise an interesting question: what would the MNRR do if CDOT didn't want to fund Stadium service? Run them to Harrison, and let a Stamford local grab any CT bound passengers?

by LNJ614

Hey guys isnt this subject suppose to be about M-1's?

by Jeff Smith

It's about M-1's and stadium service. M-2's came into service at the same time, if some M-1's are being held back for stadium service, wouldn't it be a logical follow-on to ask about M-2's related to the same service to the stadium? Or do we need a completely separate thread for M-2's? But now that the question's been answered.....

by LNJ614

Sarge wrote:It's about M-1's and stadium service. M-2's came into service at the same time, if some M-1's are being held back for stadium service, wouldn't it be a logical follow-on to ask about M-2's related to the same service to the stadium? Or do we need a completely separate thread for M-2's? But now that the question's been answered.....
Yes this maybe true , but the thread is about M-1s just as the title says. I run both types of equipment . Today the 5:14pm local train to North White Plains had M-1's leaving of track 111 yesterday.

by Terrapin Station

Saw a train of M-1a's on Track 40 at 5:30 PM this evening. Here are the numbers:
8305-8304
8282-8283
8349-8348
8363-8362*

*I assume 8363's mate is 8362, but I did not actually walk to the end of the platform to check.

by mncommuter

I rode on 769 tonight (the 6:20 PM to Croton-Harmon) and it consisted of (I think entirely) M1 cars.

Do these things get maintained much? The ride was awful. I literally was bounced off my seat a couple of times. AND... the entire train was without air-conditioning, even though some of the cars were cool before we left GCT. (I personally witnessed the first 5 hot cars, the conductor confirmed the rest)

And as a side note, I've got to say that while most customers are somewhat understanding, I feel bad for the conductors who are apparently expected by some riders to fix the A/C themselves!

by russellsal8

yeah, train 522, the 7:39 AM train out of crestwood is sometimes composed of M1s (maybe every other day, not exactly keeping track). We did have the M1s this morning, and I overheard the conductor saying that two of the cars did not have AC. (I was in one of them).

Even still, It's neat seeing these cars around every once in a while