• 2007 Steam Program

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Tadman

Looking at the 2007 steam program
http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/excurs/steamtr.shtml#2

I have two questions:
1. What is the likely routing between KC, MO, and Cheyenne when no stops are planned (thur Lawrence, KS?)
2. What is the likely routing between Topeka, KS, and Enid, OK? (again, does it go through Lawrence?)

thanks!

by Engineer James

Looks like #884 has a good schedule. Why is the Challenger #3985 only making one appearence?

by ns2110

I'm guessing the 3985 is only making one appearence this year is because over the weekend I was at the Strasburg Railroad in Pennsylvania and saw one of her drivers about to be retired. The guide on the shop tour also mentioned about quartering and new pins and eccentric cranks. I wish I had my camera to take pictures because the 475 was also taken apart inside the shop.

by Engineer James

She went all the way to Stratsburg? That sounds odd.... doesn't UP have their own steam shops to take care of them?

by ns2110

Sorry about the delay in response, I don't read this forum very often. I should have been more clear in saying that only parts of the 3985 are in Strasburg. I only saw her #6 driver and some various parts associated with the rods that were all freshly machined.

by chuckmitchell

It's pretty cool that the 844 is going to come back through KS in September. I'll be all over that.

by Dakguy201

The UP web site lists the way home as Kansas City thru the Maryville subdivision to North Platte, so it would go thru Lawrence.

by John_Perkowski

Have to agree with Dakguy, they'll run 844 up by Marysville.

Once upon a time, that was the Fourth Subdivision of the Kansas Division.

The cutoff is just west of the US-75/US-24 instersection in Topeka. The traditional name of the cutoff is Menoken. Look for NW 25th St in Topeka, or else the intersection of Landon Road and 35th St.

BTW, 844 makes a second call on Topeka this fall; in September.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Some years ago, # 3985 led a train to Southern California, and camped out for a while at the Montclair, CA yards. She was on display at the time, and all were invited into the cab, with the engine all steamed up, blowing her big steamboat whistle from time to time.

I walked into # 3985's cab and had this weird feeling. I said to the crew in there, I don't know why, I have never been in this cab before, but I feel very comfortable and at home here. Everything seems to be in place as though I have been in this cab before. They laughed and said, Did you ever go into the cab of a Big Boy ? I said Yes, many times, since # 4014 is in the Fairplex, the Los Angeles Fairgrounds, about two miles away. They laughed and said, It is the same exact cab, NO difference.

So, if you have been in the cab of a Big Boy, you have also been in the cab of # 3985, and conversely, if you have been in the cab of # 3985, you have also been in the cab of a Big Boy.

by rwallace2fan1

the 844 went through lawrence topeka today on its way to marysville. looked pretty sharp as it went by us today while we were waiting in the siding at linden. looked like it was moving pretty good too. High ball steam engine! :-D