Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by Otto Vondrak

I have a few questions about the D&H/CP freight that runs between Saratoga and The Bronx down the Hudson Line...

- When did this service start?

- How did it come about?

- Where does the CP equipment lay over in The Bronx?

- What traffic is carried? I see newsprint cars which I assume are for the New York Post plant by the Triboro Bridge...

Thanks!

-otto-

by WIN Tower

Otto ,
i live near where the CSX line between Oak Point and Fremont crosses over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. what little i know i will share with you : the train departs from Saratoga late sunday , tuesday and thursday night , i seem to recall somewhere between 9:00p. and 11:00p. it passes over the L.I.R.R. mainline between 2:00a. and 4:00a. i know because i hear it , it often wakes me out of a sound sleep . the equipment lays over in Fresh Pond yard , which is "downstairs" from Fremont . usually the train departs from Fremont between 4:00p. and 4:30p. on its northbound journey monday , wednesday and friday . once i saw it as early as 2:00p. and as late as 6:00p. on its northbound trip . about once a week , it will have flatcars with L.I.R.R. m-1's on board . my most interesting viewing was a bitter cold winter morning one or two winters ago...waking me out of another sound sleep i rose to watch it and was rewarded with seeing new L.I.R.R. M-7's and NYCT cars coming in on the southbound train to Fremont , due to the darkness of the hour not much could be seen .

by Otto Vondrak

That's a good start... I was looking for more background on the origins of the operation though.

-otto-

by WIN Tower

...as you may know one of the provisions of the sale of Conrail was to provide competition in rail transportation to the N.Y.C. area . a D&H employee used to post on this boards , he was very helpful with knowledge of this operation when it began perhaps he could help you , i believe his name is Al Whalen .