• Dispatcher Job with Indiana Railroad Company

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by boeing1049

I have a few questions for anyone that can answer them

I am currenty an Aircraft Dispatcher making about 28,000 a year I have an interview with IRR for the Train Dispatcher posting. My commute would be an hour each way to work (70 miles) a day.

Can anyone tell me what does a regional like this pay for dispatchers and top out pay?

What does a train dispatcher do compared to an aircraft dispatcher?

Is this a secure job? Since it is not with CSX or UP?

Would a regional have up to date technology or would I be working in 1940's style dispatch center , where a computer is unheard of?

What would the shifts be like 8,10,12 hour shifts?

by cifn2

I would guess, you would be controlling train movements, giving track bulletins, telling of construction, work and slow orders. I would say they would have some technology, like being able to bring up a tower close to the train, as all other railroads that are national do, I would thing a regional this size would too.

I would say the job is stable, they service the Ethanol Plant in Palestine,IL as well as the Marathon Oil Refinery in Robinson,IL, they might even do some work for the Hershey's Chocolate Factory in Robinson. Sometimes a regional is the way to go, for many reasons, including the fact that they have the staff, and trains available to do short hauls where without paying a bunch you can get something delivered. Plus Regionals still have ties to UP, CSX and other class one lines. I would just see what they offer, and maybe look around to see how they are owned, and look up the stocks.... UP for example was about 110 yesterday!

by boeing1049

"I would say they would have some technology, like being able to bring up a tower close to the train, as all other railroads that are national do, I would thing a regional this size would too.

bring up a tower close to a train? Do you think they are using light boards or computers to change tracks

by blabey

The Indiana Rail Road (cq) has a reputation in the industry as a leader in the adoption of new technology. It was one of the first shortlines to use RCL equipment, and while I don't know this for a fact, I'd be willing to bet that their dispatching system is computer-based. It may even involve the latest gps technology.

The company is a profitable, well-run regional that's seen significant growth in traffic under Tom Hoback's leadership. It recently purchased a former CPR secondary line, so it continues to expand its reach. I believe CSX has an ownership interest in IRR, although it is independently managed.

Railroad dispatchers are subject to the Federal Hours of Service Law and to random drug and alcohol screening. In some aspects their work is similar to air traffic controllers, since they actually authorize and control the movement of trains, tack motors, and work equipment in the territory they are responsible for. Knowledge of the Rule Book, physical characteristics of the line, and the Operating Time Table (along with General and Special Orders) is a requirement.

It's an extremely responsible position. Screw-ups by a dispatcher can and do put lives at risk.