• Discharging pax at Bay Head grade crossing

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Irish Chieftain

The "new" Matawan station (or is it Aberdeen?)
NJCL schedule calls it "Matawan/Aberdeen" station. Signs saying both Matawan and Aberdeen are evident on the station platforms.

by Jtgshu

It used to be just Matawan, but the new station building and platforms are entirely in Aberdeen, and now only parking lots are in Matawan, and there is a rivalry between the two towns, so NJT came up with Aberdeen/Matawan station - a fair compromise, because if the station would just be called Aberdeen, people would be lost, Matawan is a MAJOR station on the Coast line.

by arrow

Speaking of stations with two names, I notice that Fanwood station is listed as simply Fanwood in the timetables and in all the signs in the station. However, the Comet IIM/IV/V voice announces it as Fanwood/Scotch Plains. I guess that was the older name and they just removed Scotch Plains for simplicity?

by nick11a

arrow wrote:Speaking of stations with two names, I notice that Fanwood station is listed as simply Fanwood in the timetables and in all the signs in the station. However, the Comet IIM/IV/V voice announces it as Fanwood/Scotch Plains. I guess that was the older name and they just removed Scotch Plains for simplicity?
Yeah, I noticed that too. Scotch Plains is so close to Fanwood (like a few blocks away) that I guess for the screen anouncements, they decided to call it Fanwood/Scotch Plains.

by JLo

Scotch Plains and Aberdeen are multiple times the size of Fanwood and Matawan, respectively, so NJT is probably responding to its marketing surveys. Spring Lake also has Spring Lake Heights on its sign, as the westbound side of thee tracks is in Spring Lake Heights (the rails are the town line).