• 1956 Roadswitcher Order

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Engineer Spike

I know that they intended to buy 60 GP9's. EMD could not deliver that many, so the reminder of the order was split between Alco and FM. Why didn't NH give the remainder to just one builder? Could Alco or FM only supply 15 each. It appears stupid that New Haven ended up with 3 makes of units to maintain.

by Xplorer2000

I think part of the problem had to do with the fact that the New Haven's credit rating at that time was in the crapper , and heading down for the last time. Alco was a long time New Haven supplier, so it only makes sense that they turn to them for some of the units.( the 1400 series RS-11s) Somehow, they either conned F-M for the H-16-44s, or elseF-M made sure they got paid up front like they did for the Speed Merchants. Thats my read why three buyers , instead of one.

by the missing link

1402 is up in danbury,if anyones interested.they would like to get it cosmeticlly restored,really,a good paint job that will hold for more than a few years.i did some sanding and priming last summer.are any of the gp-9's still alive?werent there 2 @savanah port atourity that weren't chopnosed?
  by eddiebehr

The NH's credit rating would not matter if the 1956 order had gone to one, two or three builders. I think the NH was in desparate motive power straits and channeling the order to 3 builders, including 2 which were not overloaded with orders expedited delivery.

by SSW9389

Originally only the Fairbanks Morse and ALCO units were purchased. The EMD units were leased from General Motors Corp. The Fairbanks-Morse units were part of Equipment Trust #1 for 1956. The ALCO units were part of Equipment Trust #2 for 1956. A sales agreement for the GP9s was worked out with EMD on September 15, 1959. Data from Moody's. :wink: