• LV Roselle Park Interchange with RVRR Diamond Crossing Info

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/rvrr/rvrr.htm

http://www.trainsarefun.com/rvrr/images ... 20plan.gif

The entire line in that area was to run at "yard speed" and that limited them to a max of 15mph being able to stop short of any obstructions. A switch that had about a 10 foot high switch target on it. (Note: It was not connected to anything but the high target.) It was set one way while the LV switched the stub, and set the other way for the RV

Upon throwing the switch it would show clear to go across the diamond for the LV to service the industry east of the diamond. When completed switching the industry the signal was returned to its normal position of clear for the RVRR crews to run across the diamond crossing to switch the interchange. As with Summit, this interchange would have setouts and pickups providing a reason to have the foreign road switchers operate in the area.

Best,

Steve

by TheBaran

The RVRR website notes some confusion on the location of the LV/RVRR diamond ("Roselle Park...not Cranford"). The diamond shown in the photo was in fact in Roselle Park. However, the descriptions provided in the post, as well as the RVRR website, likely reference the old LVRR diamond crossing of the 2-track SIRT in Cranford. This is based on my recollections of walking along the tracks in the late 1960s, the description of the signal protecting the crossing, as well as the location of the industry served ("100 yards to the east" per Keith Bednar). The buildings served by the LV track still stand in Roselle (100 yards east of what was the crossing) and a small section of the track can be seen from Aldene Road. I went back (last summer) to where the old LVRR/SIRT crossing was located and all traces of the LVRR track are gone, except for the remnants of the iron mast that was part of the crossing signal. The mast is now on its side and all signal components are gone, but I am certain it is the same one I saw in the 1960s.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Living in Cranford, in the early sixties, (Centennial ave, at the LVRR overpass) and later at "Aldene," (Jerome st, at the east end abutment of the LV/CNJ bridge) in Roselle park, had it's advantages. I walked all the tracks, in the area, countless times, while railfanning, and exploring the local area. While working for Conrail, I was fortunate to have made interchanges, at both sides of the main, and bridge, at Aldene/Cranford/Roselle Park. While working for the RVRR and the SIRY, I got to do it the other way, as well! It is true, that the Valley had two diamonds, in the area, both with the RVRR, and with the B&O. (actually, it was three) The B&O interchange yard headed east, from a switch just east of Centennial ave, and there was a "mainline", with a pair of tracks, for inbound/outbound tracks. There was a facility that I recall was a cardboard, or paperboard dealer, that was served by crossing over the B&O main, and siding, that lead to their CNJ interchange yard, at Excee (Cranford).
The RVRR interchange yard, was the original yard, and house tracks, from the LVRR, prior to the elevation of the mainling, through the area. The industries there, were the LVRR freighthouse, and a yard office. RVRR had access to the stub tracks, for interchange traffic. They had no customers, east of that diamond. Having worked for all three of these roads, and working all interchanges (including the RVRR/CNJ Excee interchange) The photos and drawings are accurate, but they have been wrongly combined, into the idea of the B&O interchange. I recall that the B&O diamonds were still in use, at least until 1975. The signals were still in use, as the B&O line to Arlington, was a signalled line, and protection was needed, as part of that system. Regards :-D