Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by hazmatmess

For those of you that do not know this, at the Fire Academy on Randalls Island, the FDNY and MTA have built a subway simulator. It has 1 R-40 #4461, 1 R-62 #1366 and about 1/4 of another R-62 #1370. 2 sets on tracks, 1 on a concrete roadbed, the other on a ballast roadbed. 1 platform and 1 tunnel walkway. A couple of signals, and 1 emergency escape/access hatch. Last month I had the pleasure of attending a training session. Enjoy the pictures.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=20541

by pennsy

Hi Haz,

Interesting photos. Looks like you had a good time there.

If I remember correctly, Randall's Island is also where there is a prison. A cousin through marriage worked there as a prison guard, a "screw". From his description of the place, it was fairly large.

by Fred Rabin

No. That's Rikers Island.

by devbeep2

i trust the third rail is dead..

by L'mont

pennsy wrote:Hi Haz,

Interesting photos. Looks like you had a good time there.

If I remember correctly, Randall's Island is also where there is a prison. A cousin through marriage worked there as a prison guard, a "screw". From his description of the place, it was fairly large.
It's true, the prison is Riker's, unless you are talking about the Psych facility that is infact on Randall's. This has a secure Prison area.

by arrow

Is that just for FDNY training? The "track safety" classes used to be held in the training center in Brooklyn. They had one car on a short piece of track (with dead third rail of course). The actual safety training was held between two underground station in the N/R in Brooklyn, but I can't remember which ones.

by jlr3266

Between 59th St and 53rd St stations. Short, straight run, with local and express tracks...and actual niches to clear up in.

by arrow

That's right it's between the express stop and the local stop. It's a "textbook" run there with the columns in the center perfect for clearing up in and the third rail on the opposite side.