• Research Help Cortland NY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by nscaler

I am in the final stages of research and designing an n-scale layout which will include a section which will represent the EL and LV lines in Cortland New York in spring of 1968. I am looking for anyone that might be willing to share any photographs of trackside structures or other building from Cortland that were in existance in 1968. These could either be contemporary photographs or current photographs of structures. They could also include photographs where the structures were behind the main focus, the train engines and cars.

I am also interested in knowing what engines and numbers might have been seen in Cortland at that time. Also, any reminises about Cortland in the surrounding years would be appreciated. I grew up in that area and unfortunately, was not really interested in trains at that time. My main memory was being a Cub Scout and going on a trip to see the old EL station in Cortland. I left that area in 1970 and now reside in SC.

Thanking members in advance,

Jim Bryan
  by Matt Langworthy

For the LV side of the operations, I'd recommend The Gangly Country Cousin by Herbert V. Trice and Lehigh Valley: The Wyoming and Buffalo Divisions by Mike Bednar. Both have some photos and describe the operations pretty well.

LV often assigned RS-2 #213 or RS-3 #215 to the Cortland turn around 1967-'68. In fact, the latter engine handled the final run to Canastota. I've also seen pictures of SW7s, SW8s and other RS-2s/-3s on the branch in early '70s.

by TB Diamond

Was in Cortland a fair amount of time 1973-76. Can relate LV operations during that time period if you contact me via message.

by dansapo

I found this on LOC website.
It look to be from the late 60's early 70's
http://tinyurl.com/35wq9t
:-D
  by nscaler

Thank you for all for your postings. I continue to look for additional information on the LV in Cortland.

by NYSW3614

Hey Jim-

Perhaps this would help you and be of interest to others, all the following is confirmed to be in the Cortland area-

Lehigh Valley 115 SW-1
Lehigh Valley 165 S2 No stripes?
Lehigh Valley 184 NW2 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 200 DRS4-4-1000 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 210 RS-2 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 210 RS-2 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 211 RS-2 Three black stripes First LV RR Diesel in Cortland
Lehigh Valley 212 RS-2 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 213 RS-2 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 213 RS-2 Single yellow stripe
Lehigh Valley 214 RS-2 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 214 RS-2 Single yellow stripe
Lehigh Valley 215 RS-3 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 215 RS-3 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 261 RS-3 Single yellow stripe
Lehigh Valley 217 RS-2 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 217 RS-2 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 217 RS-2 Tiger chevrons and single yellow stripe
Lehigh Valley 218 RS-2 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 219 RS-3 Double headlight, single yellow, tiger
Lehigh Valley 231 S-12 Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 235 S-12 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 237 S-12 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 256 SW-8 Single yellow middle stripe Last LV RR diesel in Cortland, 4-31-1976
Lehigh Valley 264 SW-8 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 268 SW-8 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 274 SW-8 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 312 GP38AC Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 401 RS-11 Very fresh paint, single yellow middle stripe Low nose
Lehigh Valley 410 C420 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 415 C420 Single yellow middle stripe
Lehigh Valley 574 F7A Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 580 FA Three black stripes
Lehigh Valley 594 FA2
Lehigh Valley 7643 RS11m Single yellow middle stripe, small lettering

by BR&P

OK, as long as we're asking about equipment, what cabooses would have been there same time frame?

by NYSW3614

Not as good information here, but this is what I have...

1776 Reported passing through Dryden, did it come to Cortland?
95056 Jade green
95125 With "Work safely" decal
A95020

by TB Diamond

If cab 1776 was in Dryden, then it was also in Cortland as this is where the Cortland local tied up on layover from Sayre. In addition, the LVRR made it a point to have the 1776 visit every terminal on the railroad at one time or another.

by lvrr325

Was this territory covered by just one local by then (both the remaining Lake Ontario & New York and remaining Elmira Cortland & Northern), or one local for Cortland and one local for the L&NY?

by TB Diamond

One local by the early 1970s. After the 16-hour law was replaced by the 12-hour law the job left Sayre Mon-Wed-Fri. At Cortland the job went OD at 08:00 Tues-Thurs-Sat. Freeville-Moravia was served as business dictated and the same for Freeville-Etna (after Hurricane Agnes). This schedule was juggled around a bit around late 1974 into 1975 account poor track and subsequent track work.