Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by Steve Wagner

I received my copy of this new book from Morning Sun, by Jeremy and Jeffrey Plant, yesterday; I've now had a good chance to look it over. It's very good indeed.

There's more on the D&H and the Napierville Junction in Canada than in earlier books; for that matter, there's more on the D&H from Whitehall north. Most of the photos are post-1961, but a few show diesels in the old black and yellow livery. Color reproduction looks better than in some photos in Volume 2. Apparently there will be a Volume 4, too.

See www.morningsunbooks.com for the usual pre-publication discount. The publication date is June 1.

by NYSW3614

I just saw this book last weekend. Its beautiful! I like it more then the first two volumes in fact. A must buy for any D&H fan.

by finchpl

anybody notice, the two C-628's painted in an all blue scheme just prior to going to Mexico???

I had heard "rumors" about this paint job, but seeing the pix with my own eyes for the first time...

I received the book, but UPS damaged it, so I sent it back for another one...
  by march hare

I'd give it even more thumbs, but I only have two.

I think this is an outstanding book. The coverage of the north end in particular is better than any previous work, bar none. Photo reproduction is quite a bit better than in Volume 2 (which ran a bit on the low contrast side, IMHO). I like the layout work more as well--the thin black border surrounding each photo is a nice touch (there's a publisher's term of art for that, but I can't remember it right now).

I've found only one minor typo so far (one of my favorite locations, Podpadic Road in Richmondville, is spelled Podpadeck). I bought 4 copies so far, and am planning on giving a couple of them as gifts.

Gardiner Cross
Cripplebush Valley Models
"Great Looking Rocks, In Less Than A Million Years"
www.cripplebush.net

by NYSW3614

I'll take one Gardiner. ;) j/k

Joshua

by Colrom

The photos in the latest volume show more of the trains than the previous volumes - which is nice for those looking to duplicate some of the consists.

A very nice volume all around.
  by jmp883

Come on.....it's a Morning Sun book, we were expecting anything less? By law I don't think they're allowed to make a bad book :D . I defy ANY publisher in the known and unknown universe to out-publish Morning Sun. I have all the EL, Erie, and DL&W books as well as the NYS&W and L&HR books and NO ONE publishes more informative books than they do. The only books I've missed in this series are the ones on the D&H, but it sounds like out of the 3 of them Volume 3 is the best of the series. Time to go the hobby shop.....

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL (and D&H)
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29