• Robbinsville Industrial Track To Be Vacated

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by The Rising

Hello all,

Hello Trainlawyer,

Well, It appears another party has entered the picture with regards to this line. Given the massive mobilization that I've just been informed about from the fine folks at Trainlawyers favorite punching bag (aka CNJ Rail), I'd say Trainlawyer held true to his statement that he would comment in good time on this subject.

I finally found out who the mysterious person they called Micheal is today from the latest STB filling. I extend my greetings to Mr. Allen, I understand he contributes to this site from time to time. I hope he will choose to enlighten us all here in the future as this process moves forward.

I'm curious to see what is going to happen in the upcoming weeks. I sense, (this is speculation on my part only) there may be as many as two, if not three competing OFA's for this line. It appears that this could turn into a battle. What I question is "For what?". I hope we'll hear comments from Trainlawyer on this in the future, or maybe even Mr. Allen himself.

Well, that's all for now folks..

See ya all later....

by JimBoylan

The only oil I can throw on the troubled flames is that a prospective customer on TYBR told us that instead of locating on our line, they were going to develop a plant in Robinsville, N.J.!
We have gained customers from Cranbury Station and Allentown, when the Camden & Amboy and the Union Transportation Co. were abandoned there.

by SemperFidelis

Does anyone else find it weird that some nut case (for lack of a better term) thinks that he can run trains from point A (south of York, PA) to point B (near Timonium, MD) with NO potential for traffic in between and several dozen miles of rails and ties missing?

It would make an excellent light rail extension, though the population through the area is quite sparse. But as for freight, I think perhaps this man ought to consult a psychologist.
  by JimBoylan

SemperFidelis wrote:he can run trains from point A (south of York, PA) to point B (near Timonium, MD) with NO potential for traffic in between and several dozen miles of rails and ties missing?
There is also the overhead traffic with the Stewartstown RR, which has no other outlet. That line connects with the New Park & Fawn Grove, which is missing all of its rails and ties!

by The Rising

Hello All,

Hello Trainlawyer,

I have read both of Trainlawyers fine comments in this thread, and after receiving some additional information, decided that I would pass along these additional comments.

One comment that I wanted to point out was to Trainlawyer. I noticed you stated the the following:

"The real issues to be determined by the board concern the preservation of the right of way as a corridor and that can be done simply by denying the petition."

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I thought CR had filed a Notice of Exemption, not a Petition for Exemption. The only way the board can even render a decision in this case is if somebody challenges the notice. A notice normally doesn't proceed past the desk of the director of proceedings, so why would the full board need address the filing?

Whereas, NS, specifically sought certain exemptions in the MTA case, i.e, the exemption from sections 10904 and 10905, CR here is seeking no such exemptions. The OFA statute is clear, if an offer of financial assistance comes in, it will take preference over any other preservation effort. The Director of proceedings will have to render his decision after the offer comes in. Until that time, the notice is stayed and the period for tolling for additional OFA will be extended for 60 days while CR prepares the discovery request for Riffin.

As for you comments regarding Riffins previous efforts along the Northern Central in PA, I concur with you that those efforts were clearly something that the board should have shot down. Clearly, lacking a lease agreement from the county for that portion of the line, his notice of exemption was clearly to attempt to circumvent certain state regulations. If you want to start a seperate thread on Mr. Riffin, I'd be happy to post what I learned about his efforts in MD.

As for the Robbinsville Line, I think it will be interesting to watch. CNJ Rail has found the silver bullt that would kill the notice. They are apparently waiting for Board to render a decision in other matters before tipping their hand.

Well, that's all for know folks......

See ya all later......

by The Rising

Hello all,

Hello Trainlawyer,

I see Trainlawyer beat me to the punch with his post from yesterday. Alas, it is now official that the Robbinsville Industrial Track is soon to be removed forever.

There is no need for Trainlawyer to wait until Feb 5 for the answer to his question.

There will be NOT be an OFA filed in this proceeding.

On Friday, the Board granted Mr. Riffin's petition for reconsideration and overturned the director of proceedings decision that NS and CSX did not need to file formal discontinuance notices for their respective services.

The Board then, on its own motion, granted NS and CSX discontinuance authority in the case. This action cured the defect ( the silver bullet that, as was explained to me, would have prevented the robbinsville line from being removed) in the original notice.

I must say, I was surprised to have been told that no OFA was going to be forth coming after all that effort. I was told that the interest in the Robbinsville line was not all about saving the line. I was told that the value they (Riffin/CNJ Rail) received from the Board's decision will be applied in two other proceedings, one currently before the Board, and one that will be filed shortly.

They certainly were not disappointed in the ruling. In fact, they appeared to be thrilled with it. I, on the other hand, am left questioning what in the world the exercise in Robbinsville was really all about. I can't imagine how one little decision which upheld some language in a previous case will bolster another argument in another proceeding.

Yes NS, and CSX had to file discontinuance authoirty before the line could be abandoned. Now, with two cases clearly decided by the Board which state the obvious now having been ruled on, I can't see what they are so thrilled about. I almost get the impression that CR may have made that mistake before and they seem like they know where it is. I can't imagine that CR would do that twice. Its just my opinion. It seams like a wasted effort to me.

From what I also learned, turns out Mr. Riffin did not get his way with the "I'm a RR" argument in federal court either. In case you didn't see this Trainlawyer, here is a link for your review:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/06-617.htm

When one also looks at the filing for the MA& PA, it just boggles my mind what in the world they think they are doing. There is no doubt in my mind they think they know what they are doing, but i simply can't figure this one out. Why go through all that battle just to get one little decision. I'm pissed off cause I thought they might actually try to save that line. Turns out, they just needed to address some minoot legal issue.

Anyway, enough of my rambling for today.

See ya all later.......

by baju

I thought I would bring this to everyones attention. It doesnt look like the
Robinsville branch is dead yet!!!! http://www.nj-arp.org/hotline

Evidently burlington Co. is interested!!!

by baju

I work for the feds and our agency has telemetering instruments on an indiviuals property in Windsor NJ. His property borders on the Robinsville
industrial track. He told me that he was informed by the township "the rails would be torn up soon and the property subdivided with his neighbor who lives just to the other side of the right of way" So it sounds from him its a done deal already? There is evidently a fiber optic cable to the west side of the right of way that is burried and he told me it might cause some problems with the subdivision. He is a railroad buff also. As a side note the individul told me he grew up along the right of way and has engaged in bottle digging along the right of way. He discovered small gage rail burried under the current tracks. What a shame to see the first railroad in NJ destroyed and nothing left for historical preservation. The culture of this state is so corrupt and money oriented that it really sickens me. Its just as corrupt as our current congress.

by colincrow13

Hi.
What is the current status of the abandoment? Will they remove the tracks? Or will they keep the line?