• The 681

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by atholrail

Any news on 681? Still @ Waterville? What repairs were made?
  by PT1101

The 681 is still at Waterville. It has turbo and traction motor issues. No word on when it will be ready for service. I hope this helps.

by Jonny Bolt

How long has it been there? Like 4 years lol?

by Guilford Guy

nah thats 684, I saw 681 in october
  by PT1101

I received word that the 681 went west on train WAED on Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this for me. Thank you.

by calaisbranch

Guilford Guy wrote:nah thats 684, I saw 681 in october
Now that you brought up #684, it's actually been just about 5 years already since the 684 went down! Can't believe it's been that long...
The only reason I know is because I got a shot of it on an EDSR about four weeks before it went to Waterville. Like the other six axles, it was then common for it to be on trains to Rotterdam and Saratoga, NY.
Here's a shot of the #684 on EDSR in May of 2002.......

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 373154.jpg

Jeff Bray

by calaisbranch

A picture of #681 was just put up on NERAIL. The SD45 was on WAED Thursday. Guess we have Billy Stone to thank for the proof!

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20070 ... 328093.jpg

JB

by calaisbranch

I saw that the other day. Pretty wild to see two six-packs on pusher duty!

Try this one on for size.........It had just come back from another lengthy bit of downtime.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 223897.jpg

JB

by Skullitor

I was told it was in East Deerfield the other day.

by NellsChoo

681 was heading east last night through Shelburne Falls... missed the train symbol...

by cpf354

NellsChoo wrote:681 was heading east last night through Shelburne Falls... missed the train symbol...
Oh yea, the 681 is back in the flow of things. I saw it on a WB last weekend trailing at Lowell, and it's been reported on jobs in Maine and seen at the pit at ED. Today I saw a sight for sore eyes; the B&M 690 behind the ST 643, leading two 500's on a westbound through N. Leominster (NMED), in Run 8 perhaps, going strong! :-D

by Skullitor

cpf354 wrote:
NellsChoo wrote:681 was heading east last night through Shelburne Falls... missed the train symbol...
Oh yea, the 681 is back in the flow of things. I saw it on a WB last weekend trailing at Lowell, and it's been reported on jobs in Maine and seen at the pit at ED. Today I saw a sight for sore eyes; the B&M 690 behind the ST 643, leading two 500's on a westbound through N. Leominster (NMED), in Run 8 perhaps, going strong! :-D
B&M690 was the trailing engine followed by ST 643 on EDNM a couple days ago.They were the train that brought the BIG HOOK up to Danville Junction for the derailment.
Skull :wink:

by atholrail

Any new updates on the 681? Have we lost her for good?

by CBass1307

I may have the numbers mixed up, but one one of the 600 numbers, I think it was 681, has a broken crankshaft and is done for good.