• Suskie Alcos - smaller ones

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by BlockLine_4111

I had the opportunity to restore my NYS&W photo allbum today while on Christmas vacation (some free time on my hands while sipping cold pints).

I have photos of 230, 234, and 236 on a deadline in Little Ferry. Also 240, 252, and 2000 active and in service. #240 was used in an excursion with the ex-AT dome coaches and #252 was used in the filming of a M. Streep movie. #2000 was on the transfer track at Passaic Jct. for relo to Bingo AIR.

All above dated 1982.

What is current status and disposition of these smaller Alco locos?

by scottychaos

here you go:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/susquehanna/

out of the 6 engines you mention, only one survives today.
the 240 is in Wellsboro, PA

Scot

by BlockLine_4111

It's amazing how on the NYS&W Alcos die young and how the 3 GP-18s still survive well into Y2K. The Geeps are classics.

I am surprised to see #2000 scrapped in 1988 after it was acquired and overhauled 6 years earlier. Odd. :wink:

by Alcoman

The Alcos die young because the railroad did not take care of the Alcos the way they should have. C430 # 3008 died young after a rebuilding because a wrist pin was not installed properly. C420 died young because the crankshaft got scored-improper maintenance. The 206 was overhauled in the 80's and then the engine froze up from improper storage. The list goes on.
The GP-18's were repaired,overhauled and rebuilt many times. I have a slide of one of the GP-18's in Naparano's waiting to get a new engine in 1972.
More recently,they were rebuilt or overhauled by Conrail with 645 series engines.

by BlockLine_4111

I mentioned about 230, 234, and 236 on the LF deadline in 1982. Does anyone know exactly when these went OOS (and thus onto the deadline) and also when the "Q" sent them to the torch? IIRC there were more Alco units among these 3 but blocked from access by weeds and other freight cars, etc.

by Steve F45

blockline, where are these pics located? you have any others from the little ferry and edgewater areas?

by BlockLine_4111

2005Vdub wrote:blockline, where are these pics located? you have any others from the little ferry and edgewater areas?
I have a few 3-ring binder photo albums with photos of local stuff in the 1980s. But have not had time to put them online.

Most of the "Q" stuff is from the Passaic Jct. area plus special excursions too. I have nothing from Edgewater. :wink:

by Steve F45

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
2005Vdub wrote:blockline, where are these pics located? you have any others from the little ferry and edgewater areas?
I have a few 3-ring binder photo albums with photos of local stuff in the 1980s. But have not had time to put them online.

Most of the "Q" stuff is from the Passaic Jct. area plus special excursions too. I have nothing from Edgewater. :wink:
get those pics online :-D im fascinated by the older stuff from 15+ years ago. I was just a kid so i never knew about the railroad itself back then, even directing across from the little ferry facility.

by BlockLine_4111

Yeah I am working slowly on it, months away perhaps.

Those little 1kHP Alcos got loaded to the max with those grade battle over Sparta to Hainesburg Jct. plus handling IIRC 4 coach passenger trains locally.

The tonnage to HP ration on the "Q" for passenger and freights must have been huge in those days.