Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by JFB

It wasn't a boy who fell on the tracks. It was a 20-year-old man.

And it appears that the rescuer, Mr. Autrey, acted under the most perilous conditions possible: with a train approaching, and no time to lift the person to safety, he pressed himself and his rescuee into the drainage rut between the rails while half the train rumbled over them.

My sincerest commendations to a fellow Squid.

Regarding the fatality question, BTS reports 59 fatal incidents on heavy-rail transit in 2004 nationwide. Determining how many of those are from being run over or contacting the 3rd rail requires more research than I'm willing to do at the moment. Perhaps you can try searching the BTS website.

by harryguy082589

JFB wrote:It wasn't a boy who fell on the tracks. It was a 20-year-old man.

And it appears that the rescuer, Mr. Autrey, acted under the most perilous conditions possible: with a train approaching, and no time to lift the person to safety, he pressed himself and his rescuee into the drainage rut between the rails while half the train rumbled over them.

My sincerest commendations to a fellow Squid.

Regarding the fatality question, BTS reports 59 fatal incidents on heavy-rail transit in 2004 nationwide. Determining how many of those are from being run over or contacting the 3rd rail requires more research than I'm willing to do at the moment. Perhaps you can try searching the BTS website.
I'm goning to try and look right now

This was another articleb relating to sickness and the subway:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-S ... elays.html

by Tadman

According to the radio this morning, Donald Trump sent this guy $10,000 and some people have set up scholarship funds for the kids.

by Robert Paniagua

I heard about this while I was in Puerto Rico. I couldn't believe this guy could fit in the track pit, I wonder if the motorperson could have stopped the train much sooner by throuwing sand from the cars' undercarriage. Don't the R62/62A cars carry sand in the event they need to sudden stop? And Im wondering, was the train doing 40mph, I think he was, since the motorperson already went over those two guys.

Also, the 20-yr old with the seizure is a Bostonian like me, he was going to school in New York.