Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by etna9726b

Interesting report from NYPost on new MTA Boss Elliott Sander's tour of the subway system. When he found a dirty bathroom...

"The new MTA boss did not wait for his first day of work to start surveying
the system. Last week, when he used the bathroom at an MTA train station, he found the toilet backed up and the facility filthy. He asked his wife to check the women's room and it too was filthy. He introduced himself to the bathroom attendant, who told him he had reported the problem "three of four days ago."

Sander, 50, then called the head of the responsible agency - which, when asked, he did not identify - and politely informed him of the problem. He has no doubt it will be taken care of. "

...So the "bathroom attendant" doesn't clean anything, he just reports it. Then what ? The cleaning subcontractor outsources it ?

by orangeline

I guess the ultimate answer to your topic question is "It stops when its out of your pocket and in someone else's." Just hire another warm body to take of those things the attendant can't be bothered doing!

by U-Haul

Clean restrooms and New York City Subway are two places almost never heard in the same sentences. The NYC Subway has enough needs to spend on in my opinion without increasing restroom funds. Graffiti is always a problem, many stations have swaths of peeling paint (probably some lead paint), rusty support columns, then there track maintenance, car maintenance, and some I did not mention. You just get off the Subway and find the closest restroom. If you swipe your Metro Card it will not work for about 15 minutes.