• ** B&H TRAIN MOVEMENT REPORTS **2006

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by railwatcher

Post your Bath & Hammondsport train movement sightings here.
Last edited by railwatcher on Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by boblenon

5/8/06: Saw LAL 423 & B&H 422 finish switching customer @ Cohocton and move to shop last nite (about 6:30-7pm).

by boblenon

6/12/06: Saw B&H (LAL 423 + BH 422) today on the way up 390. At about 6:30-7pm. They were hostleing a long set of tank cars north of the engine house in Cohocton.

by railwatcher

07/17/06 Saw B&H #422 heading towards Painted Post, out of Campbell, NY with a large quantity of tanker cars. Seemed like a long train for one engine. Train was moving rather slowly, I would guess under 15 mph. There had to have been more than 20 cars. I saw them at around 1pm.

by boblenon

when I saw them on 6/12 they where handling 20+ tank cars - had split them in half and were manuvering them north of the engine house on the main in cohocton... possibly the same cut - or maybe they are serving a huge tank consumer ?
  by Matt Langworthy

What a whirl of events over the past 36 hours! I spent the past two days at the southern end of Pleasant Valley, watching the briefly rejuvenated B&H. I have to say that this was pure luck, because my sister and I had decided to celebrate my mother's 71st birthday (yesterday) by taking her to an italina restuarant in Corning. The plans were made well over a month ago, which included mt staying at Mom's overnight so I could indulge in train watching- preferrably along the B&H.

Well, I sure got my wish... in spades! I arose at 7AM yesterday and after a qucik shower, loaded the car and headed straight to Bath. After a quick stop for gas, and breakfast, I was at the construction site alongside the original B&H mainline or Don Brown (of the Ontario Central says), the real B&H.

I set-up taking photographs with disposable cameras (I brought 8!) immediately. The unloading was rather slow- it took nearly an hour to unload a flatcar, so I took occasional breaks to see my Dad (in a nursing home nearby) and drop by Momo's house for a quick lunch. I was back in tome to catch more unloading, and an eventual reshuffling of the flat cars to out laods in place for transfer to the tractor trailers that took them to the construction site.

Along the way, I also had a chance to converse with engineer Randy Brewer and conductor Warren Edsall. Although I had been 'fanning the B&H since 1976, Randy did not immediately recall me. No offense taken, though, because I haven't been around the B&H much in the last 15 years or so. Randy did recall my father (who was a businessman in H'port 30 years ago) so then he began to realize who I was. Randy and Warren acted very professionally- even doubling as flagmen for the tractor trailers that crossed Rt. 113 twice so they could access the route to the construction site. Ditto for today's crew, apparently borrowed from the B&H's parent road LAL.

When I arrived today, I had missed another reshuffling that had taken place early in the morning. They had actually started work at 7AM. but I was in no shape to get-up that early after my mother's b'day festivities last night. So I sat patiently and at 3PM, S-1 #5 roared to life. The crew hitched up the remaining empties and headed south. I raced ahead and took many, many pictures where the tracks parallel May Street in Bath- mostly at the crossings at East Washington Street and Rt. 415. The train continued south and eventaully came to a stop right before the junction with the former EL Wayland Branch. The crew turned off the venerable engine of #5 and tied the train down for the night- so you might be able to get some pictures of it before empties are returned to NS. According to Randy Brewer, the (per diem?) charges on the flatcars are quite high so the RR is anxious to return them. BTW, the flatcars are still lettered "Southern."

The crew also tried to joke with me that the locomotive had broken down, but I replied, "She's an Alco, you can't break her! Number 5 is too tough for that!" We exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes. Then I took a few more pictures of #5 and left. I used up 7 disposable cameras in just 30 hours- what a good time!

When these pictures are developed, I will forward them to Luther so he can post them on http://www.lalrailfan.net . It will take a little while because cash is tight, so please be patient.

P.S. WROC TV-8 News stopped by to film the story for 6:00 News and I was in the piece! Read about it here: http://www.wroctv.com/news/story.asp?id=24309&r=l . It should be noted that I didn't come just to watch the train, out of respect for Mom.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by nessman

8 disposable cameras plus processing... you could have bought halfway digital camera for that!
  by Matt Langworthy

nessman wrote:8 disposable cameras plus processing... you could have bought halfway digital camera for that!
Nine disposable cameras cost about $30 at Staples. The processing for 7 cameras isn't bad if my sister uses her employee discount at _____ ; probably about $40-$50.

So how much is a good digital camera?
  by nessman

Matt Langworthy wrote:So how much is a good digital camera?
You can get a decent 2 or 3 megapix camera for around $75, depending on options. An HP PhotoSmart 635 (my wife has one) takes decent pictures.

by railwatcher

Matt,

I enjoyed see the Channel 8 news last night, for a change, good news and a railfan. Now, your famous!

Greg

by bwparker1

Les is right, FWIW you can spend about $75 and get something that will take pictures that are just as good as your disposable... Plus no more processing costs ever.... stick with a name brand through, my father in law bought some piece of junk at Radion Shack and I didn't have the heart to tell him he could have gotten something way better for less!
  by Matt Langworthy

Good news! As soon as Luther PMs me with his current address, I'll forward some of those B&H pics to him for scanning! :-D

by umtrr-author

Thanks for the report... I watched the video also.

Another reason why railroads shouldn't have been torn up... you could have delivered a jail :-D
  by Matt Langworthy

Good news! Luther has posted some of my B&H pictures from August on his website: http://www.lalrailfan.net/gallery/thumb ... p?album=50
  by Matt Langworthy

I thought I was in luck today... I heard the familiar horn blast of an Alco Century as I was preparing to leave my mother's house in Bath at 10:25 this morning. I raced ahead to the Campbell crossing (Rt. 333) and waited very patiently in the wind and misty drizzle for the train to come. I saw the headlight in the distance but it never came closer... after I waited for over 90 minutes!

Heading back to Savona, I got off Rt. 17 (I-86) at the exit for Rt. 226 and headed down Eagle Valley Rd. for Blessing. Sure enough, the Century was switching tank cars at the natural gas (LP?) dealership but I couldn't get close enough to tell if it was operating solo or in tandem with the other C424m because if the trees and a creek glen separating me from the tracks. After about 30 minutes of waiting, I decided to give up and head back to Rochester. Sorry, folks, I don't know if the B&H actually ran to Painted Post today or if it just a quick turn to switch the tank cars for the customer...

P.S. I came through Victor on my trip back to Rochester and it looks like the Ontario Central is laying some new ties.