Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Nester

Can anyone tell me what the official seating capacity of these cars are?

by Kurt

I saw car 1740 at Kawasaki today. The outside looks good, but who knows how much work is left. It was right next to the fence near the Yonkers station, in front of a LIRR double decker #4011

see a photo of 1740 here:
not the best shot with the fence in the wayhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/g ... ins002.jpg

by Tadman

It'd be a treat to see back-to-back FL9's with a solid Mafersa NH consist. The most realistic-looking NH representation since 1968.

I say this with full understanding MN/CDOT is not a museum or run for foamers, and further with full realization this is a fleeting dream.
  by L'mont

Around 7:45, I saw three VRE cars in their original livery behind MNRR 103 @ MO, they were sitting along the Harlem Line. I assume the 103 is the AMMO and that these cars are bound for Kawasaki?

by DutchRailnut

correct their going to Kawasaki and they will pick up 3 cars from Kawasaki or already did so last night

by RedSoxSuck

I thought the VRE cars were prohibited in 3rd rail territory. Of course, there is no other way to/from Kawasaki. Can someone (Dutch?) please elaborate? Thanks

by DutchRailnut

They are not restricted from 3th rail but they are restricted in revenue from park avenue tunnel use due to the door arrangement.
MNCR does not want them into park avenue tunnel where a passenger could look out and loos his head. The Mafersa's have manual sliding doors.

by Jeff Smith

DutchRailnut wrote:They are not restricted from 3th rail but they are restricted in revenue from park avenue tunnel use due to the door arrangement.
MNCR does not want them into park avenue tunnel where a passenger could look out and loos his head. The Mafersa's have manual sliding doors.
Next stop, Willoughby.

by L'mont

Are they re-fit with automatic doors by Kawasaki, or does the SLE run with manual doors?

by DutchRailnut

SLE runs with manual doors.

by kitn1mcc

and full Traps

Madison and Good ol Westbrook is still At Grade Station
  by Jeff Smith

Getting closer, only cab cars left.....anyone have a chance to ride them yet?

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/lo ... -headlines

Anyone know why they can't run into GCT? (Clearance issues?)
Once the cab cars are complete, the DOT will rotate cars from Shore Line East to the New Haven Line, but it can't use the already repaired Virginia "coach" cars, or their Shore Line East counterparts, because they can't run inside Grand Central Terminal, Colonese said.

by FL9AC

shouldn't be clearance issues. I don't think those cars are in pool service, so there is no need for them to run into GCT.

by DutchRailnut

The VRE's are restricted off third rail except for shop moves to Kawasaki.
And MNCR does not want manual sliding doors in GCT so they don't kill passsengers sticking heads etc outside the train.

by Jeff Smith

Thanks.