• Freehold secondary and glidden spur

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by luminous53

Hello, I'm new to the list! Does anyone know the best time to see a train on the freehold secondary east of Jamesburg. I am going to walk the entire line to farmingdale for a documenty im working on. I know it will take me a few trips and a section is out of service. The cool thing is after that I want to do the sothern sec. That one may take years. I just want to put a nice collection of movies and photo's together of entire lines for some king of great documentry when im older. thanks guys!

P.S. insider fact. In 1992 , maybe 93, I caught a sand train on the glidden spur while walking the line. Aparently there was a short activation of the spur in the 90's and the train was called the "Big Mac". AT least that is what a conrail employe told me. anyone have any photo's ?

by nolifeCRchaser

I have walked the Freehold from Farmingdale to Jamesburg and back one day in summer of 2000. I would recommend waiting until winter as the brush was very high in some spots and I found quite a few unwanted guests. I also walk the Southern from Lakehurst to Red Bank(not all in one day of course) on several occasions. I only once walked between Whiting(Rte 539) and Lakehurst and back. There is a lot of neat things to see while walking these lines.
As far as trains on the Freehold goes, I think that the SA31 has been running to Freehold on mondays and thursdays or fridays. The SA31 will also venture onto the Freehold while working on the Southern to drill Gold Lumber in Farmingdale. I do have a shot of the sand train at Glidden that I think is dated 1991, but I will have to look at the processing stamp on the back of the pic.
  by luminous53

Hey, Thanks for all the info. I think you are right on the Glidden Spur date. Take care.

by southern secondary

nolifeCRchaser wrote:I do have a shot of the sand train at Glidden that I think is dated 1991, but I will have to look at the processing stamp on the back of the pic.
Could you post that picture, it would be interesting to see.

Thanks

by nolifeCRchaser

I will dig up a pic, but it probably will not be scanned and posted until the middle of the week.

by nolifeCRchaser

Here is a pic of the train on the Glidden Spur
Last edited by nolifeCRchaser on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

by southern secondary

Great picture thanks for posting it.