Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by LNJ614

Hey guys the 750 is out of the paint shop. The North White yard crew took the engine out of the paint shop yesterday evening. It look pretty nice. They lost the torpedo air tanks on the top and relocated them by the futanks.The high hood is still there. Pictures will be coming soon.

by peak-layover

Saw it in Croton on my way home outside the shop. Looks really cool. Same paint scheme as the 100 series and 543, but it looks really fresh and new. The blue is very dark and very shinny.
  by fordhamroad

-oh, but I'm going to miss those splendid, silver red and blue stripes.
-In fact, I miss the whole original Metro North look. The FL-9's were spectacular in a scheme almost a good as the original NH McGinnis design.
After all that PC black and Conrail Blue, it was nice to see a splash of color on local rails. And the FL-9's also went well with the CDOT cars. Metro North had a good image and a good design. Too bad they didn't stick to it.
-at least it still runs on my N gauge.

Roger

by Terminal Proceed

Yeah it might look nice but it's still a rolling box of crap to work in.
  by fordhamroad

-okay Terminal P. If you were God, or at least President of Metro North, and had adequate funding to redo the railroad,
-what engines should Metro North have for passenger trains and maintenance?
-what MU electric cars should you buy?
-what other cars (diesel??)
-serious question. Intead of hand me downs or compromises, what kinds and types of equipment would be needed to make Metro North the best possible railroad?

(-when you get all done, please paint them silver, red and blue.)

Roger

by DutchRailnut

15 more new Genesis GEVO(4200hp) Dual modes
8 Green goats with third rail charger to charge batteries when third rail is available.
100 Double Deckers as per NJT design.
and M series orders for 35 cars per year, not mass produced so improvements can be incorporated.
35 for H&H and 35 for New Haven and just keep ordering every year.

by Terminal Proceed

I dont care what equipment is purchased as long as it's functional, safe, comfortable to work in - (I said comfortable - nut luxurious).

Something that has climate controls - reasonable heat in winter - not a system that gets so hot that it nearly sets your socks on fire and you have to open windows to relieve the heat.

Something where the diesel fumes stay in the OUTSIDE atmosphere - not pumped in to the cab like some sort of WWII European gas chamber.

Something that has resaonably comfortable seats - not something that will make your back feel as if it will snap in two on long journeys or when forced t spend long hours at a time in the cab.

Hell - I'm not even saying brand new. I'd settle for used, safe, and comfortable.

by L'mont

Dutch, why the 4200hp? Is it really needed?

Will we see some pictures of the newly painted 750?

by Noel Weaver

Terminal Proceed wrote:Yeah it might look nice but it's still a rolling box of crap to work in.
This comment brings back a memory to me on the New Haven Railroad
back around 1956 when some people said how nice the Fairbanks Morse
engines looked. So I remember saying "lovely to look at, rotton to work
on". I doubt if the 750 is nearly as bad to work on as some of the junk
that was around in the 50's, 60's and into the 70's.
I never thought a GP-9 was a bad engine to work on and I worked on
many of them through out my career. Problem is today that they are
just plain old, wonder how the noise level is, the cab heat is, the
ventilation is and if the cab is tight? They were a good riding engine and
good to run on the road but could be a pain in the yard to switch with.
Noel Weaver

by peak-layover

Can't help you there. It's parked under the bridge in Croton next to the support beam. It's on the right side, but it's blocked by the building (switchhouse I believe). You can get a good look at it for about 1 second while on a train, and there is not good angle from the station. When it moves, I'll try, but I'm guessing it's in the inspection line or something. Hasn't moved since it got to Croton.

by DutchRailnut

L'mont wrote:Dutch, why the 4200hp? Is it really needed?

The New Genesis is 4200 hp out of same size engine as our P32ACDM's.
To be able to run 8 or 9 car trains on Hudson line a 4200 hp would be handy, after deducting 100 hp per car for HEP a 4200 Genesis would only have 3300 hp for traction or less than a pair of FL-9's.
Our current P32acdm's are slower than s**&(mollases) when powering 8 cars.
  by fordhamroad

-Dutch, interesting suggestions

-I can see the Gennies. Green Goats I do not know much about, but they are the state of the art switcher now available.
-given the GCT tunnel clearance, would the NJT double deckers fit?
I remember the old LIRR double deckers from the 1950's, and also rode some of the Chicago double deckers on CNW and Metra. I didn't think they were quite as comfortable or loaded/unloaded as quickly a single cars, but they did hold more passengers per train. Wouldn't this cause problems with engine power and number of cars?
-would all thi equipment be equally usable on the CDOT part of the line, or would other locomotives and cars be required?

Roger

by DutchRailnut

The njt cars would probably fit but unless mncr would try a set fron bombardier we will never find out.
the nice thing about njt cars is 2 x2 seating and still 20 % more than single level car.
The clearance does fit nyp so they would fit under nh wire.
the lirr cars where not true doubledeckers since top seats basicly was just a step up .

by LNJ614

How did we get away from the subject about GP-9 #750?

by Terminal Proceed

Hmmmm - good qustion - I'm equally guilty. Let's get back on track or else start a new thread.

Thanks LNJ