Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by L'mont

I overheard MN crew talking last week and on said that the now inservice track 4 is only temporary. What's the word?

Just a note, i took my first ride on that track last week. I know the speed is reduced due to work in the area, but what till the normal speed limit be through new rochelle, on all 4 tracks, once work is complete?

by Clean Cab

Track 4 where it now lays is where it will be permanently. Although it has a temporary speed restriction of 30 MPH, it technically is 75 MPH because MN did not (as of 11/26) issue a new bulletin order changing the speed on track 4. My guess that it will be 45 MPH when all work is done.

by checkthedoorlight

I take it when the construction is complete, track 4 will not have direct access to New Rochelle yard, like it used to? Is the track 2/4 platform going to extra wide, like the length of the old platform + the new temporary platform covering the old track 4?

by Clean Cab

Track 4 (the new and current one) will not have access to the ""Old Yard" in the station area. Trains must go further east to go into the yard, which I think is a BIG mistake. But they know best.

Track 2 will be realigned south and use the exsisting platform. THe temporary platform will be removed. What was track 4 (on the north side of the platform) will become track 2 and where track 2 now sits will be removed and the North Ave bridge abutment will occupy that space. Then the platform gets legnthened once the abutment is relocated.

by L'mont

So what will be the big step now? Will they start removing the temp platform?

They have to get the new track 2 set against the shorter platform and start using it before they take out the currant track 2, no?

I can't imagine them having only 2 tracks through New Ro for very long, if ever. That would seem to create a huge bottle neck.

by Clean Cab

Removal of the temporary track 2 platform should begin this week. That will leave three tracks open through New Rochelle, tracks 3, 1 & 4.

Track 2 will be moved south and line up with the current platform over the next few weeks.
  by wzlirr

I went up to NewRo last night on the 4:52pm and we came into the station, doors opening on the left instead of the right side. Quite a few people were disoriented. How much work remains to be done here?

by Jeff Smith

were they getting off from the bar car? :wink:

what they're doing in NR sounds awesome, although for morning commuters, an inconvenience in going from station to platform since you have to use the overpass now. still, it sounds a lot like stamford, albeit without the outside platforms. remember stamford before the redo? useless outside stub tracks. do i understand it right that now all tracks can platform (stamford has a center track).