• LIRR Fan trips to Danbury from 1991 or 1996

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Mr GP10

Hi Folks long time no post. I was just curious if any one had any videos of the 2 above trips I think there was 3 trips total Im not to sure. If anyone has any videos or pics please inform me or post away. Thank You!!!

by Long Island 9627

[img]http://long_island_joe.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/7552/261806437UkGAkd_ph.jpg[/img]

by Otto Vondrak

There was a trip from Jamaica to Dover Plains in 1994 using LIRR MP15's and an FA power pack...

by LRail

The picture above was from the trip to Dover Plains. The last fantrip was up the Hudson to Beacon and across into Danbury. I just dug out my old photos and the distinguishing characteristics of the last trip was that the head MP-15 had the 'm' on the face.

by GP38

Otto Vondrak wrote:There was a trip from Jamaica to Dover Plains in 1994 using LIRR MP15's and an FA power pack...
That photo at Long Island City is a photo from the Dover Plains trip. I was on that trip, it also stopped at Fresh Pond Yard. 614 was the FA1 that was on the other end. I believe it was October 1993 however, as opposed to 1994.

There was also a LIST trip that used the Harold protect engines, SW1001 #102 and 104 in I think 1991 or 1992. They also did a trip to Poughkeepsie.

by Mr GP10

Thank You kindly for that picture very nice I am kicking myself for not riding or not even knowing about such trip.

by Long Island 9627

There was also a LIST trip that used the Harold protect engines, SW1001 #102 and 104 in I think 1991 or 1992. They also did a trip to Poughkeepsie. ?

The SW1001 #102 and #104 was on The Greenport Trip not Poughkeepsie trip it was two 1500 154 161 and FA 605.

by Tadman

How does a trip like this work? Into sunnyside, up over hellgate, down to the harlem line and back north?

Or ignore the no-diesels rule and run right thru NYP and out the other side on Amtrak's hudson route?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Over the hell gate Bridge.....
I dont know if they still do it, but for years they would sneak the circus train through Penn Staion early in the morning, say 2AM when there is a lull in service. One morning I was heading for an equipment train, and saw it go through the low side of Penn Station with 2 or 3 very loud Conrail engines. I doubt it is done that way anymore

by alcoAL

The LIST NRHS trip on 5/4/96 was to Beacon NY & Danbury CT. It had #622 on one end & 3 MP15ACs on the other, P171, ??, 154. My notes don't have the center unit # & I can't make it out in a photo. It was an overcast day for part of the trip & the photos aren't that great.

Here's 2 pages of the trip handout. If the 2nd page isn't big enough, PM me & I can email it in a bigger size.

by Long Island 9627

by LI Loco

I was one of the trips but did not take video. Here's how I recall it went, although my memory may be a little fuzzy. We left Jamaica over the mainline and reversed direction at Harold Interlocking to cross over the Hellgate Bridge and proceed along the Northeast Corridor to New Rochelle. There we changed direction once more and headed onto the old New Haven mainline to Woodlawn where we joined Metro North's Harlem Division and headed south to MO where we took the "wye" to head north on the Hudson Division.

We stayed on the Hudson Division to Beacon, where once again we changed direction to enter the old Beacon branch, which runs to Hopewell Jct., where it connects with what is left of the Maybrook Line. From there, we headed into Danbury, where the local railroad museum had some of its equipment operating, including a Rutland Alco RS-1 road switcher.

Then, we changed course a fourth time to enter the Metro North Danbury branch, which brought us back to the Northeast Corridor at South Norwalk. One of the highlights of the trip back was being passed by an Amtrak express while crossing Hellgate the second time. How often do two passenger trains run on the bridge in the same direction at the same time? Our last reverse was just west of Harold, so we could proceed back on the LIRR main to Jamaica.

IIRC, the power was three MP-15ACs with an F-7 power pack on the rear. All were done up in the dark blue and yellow scheme, which was brand new at the time. We had three coaches and three parlors.

by Lirr168

Al,

I believe they were #'s 154, 166, and 161. #171 has LONG ISLAND on the long hood, and two of the three here do not, the one with it clearly being #166.
Last edited by Lirr168 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by DutchRailnut

Lousy pictures but this is all I got from the Maybrook trip. I was Engineer from New Rochelle to New Rochelle.

The Crew
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1130906 ... 8804pChEVJ

at Walley lake:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1130906 ... 8804lTvcWE

At DRM.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1130906 ... 8804qJaQUw

by Otto Vondrak

Someone was on the 1994 trip to Dover Plains, in the cab of one of the switchers shooting video. If you were that person, you would have captured a 16 year old me taking your picture right back!

-otto-