• C636 # 3660 In Storage

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Alcoman

I went by the NYSW shop in Utica today and noticed 3660 in staorage behind the shop. Anyone know why its there?

by ANDY117

The motor went boom, or something to that effect. I have photos, and it's not clear as to what happened to me at least. I think a critical engine part seized up,and it won't work anymore.

hi

by thebigham

Al Gorney says it is now a parts source.

Alco Yahoo email group:

Subject: NYSW Utica shops

Although the line to Binghamton washout have not been repaired yet, the Utica shops still has locomotives being shipped out and received from CSX in October, Out bound have been M636 #3672, E9s 2400 & 2402 and RDC M-5. Inbound have been M636 #3664, B23-7 #2300, U23B BDLX 2208 and SD40T 3010. Inside the shop is M636 #3666 having its electronics replaced and the 3664 for truck work. The Susquehanna Loco and Repair crews are working on the last BAR GP38-3 #362 and U23B BDLX 2207 being fixed up for lease.

In the storage compound are Century 636s # 3660 and 77 (3662). Both of these units have their traction motors removed and look to be parts sources. Both of these units are the original ALCO Century 636 demonstrators and the shells should be preserved in rail museums painted in the ALCO demo paint.

Al Gorney

by Steve F45

isn't that the unit that had freeze damage?

by ANDY117

No, 77 had frost damage. 3660 kinda disappeared, and reappeared in Utica.
  by N_DL640A

The 3660 is out of service due to freeze damage.
Parts were borrowed from 3660 and 77, but that does not mean that they will never be fixed.
It simpy means that it's cheaper and easier to use parts off an out of service engine already at the shop than to buy new or rebuilt parts.
Consider the 1800, 3636, 3614, etc...