• Finger Lakes 2201

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by MEC407

Quite possibly the sharpest looking U23B I've ever seen:

http://www.railfan.net/lists/listphoto. ... 2201_2.jpg
  by H.F.Malone

WOW, that's sexy.... Anyone have any idea as to paint system (Imron, Centari, Sunfire, plain old industrial enamel)???? And what kind of surface prep it got (scuff-sanded, sandblasted)???

Maybe 2203 will look that nice someday. Orange with white horizontal stripes or black with white horizontal stripes? ....choices, choices.

by scottychaos

sweet! :P

Im finding some conflicting numbers on her heritage..
I have her listed as:

Built new as Louisville & Nashville 2770 in 1974.
then Seaboard 2770.
then CSX 3300
then P&W 2211
now FGLK 2201

But I also found some listings that say she was originally L&N 2772.
can anyone confirm?

there is no question she was P&W 2211..
its the heritage before that im not sure about.

thanks,
Scot

by checexcitation

H.F.Malone,
Sanded, sanded, sanded, and then sanded! The RR's paint contractor did most of the prep. ( There's alot of body filler in the nose. The FGLK shop had cut off the nose a few months ago to build a new sand box and sand delivery system, then welded the nose back on.)
The FGLK shop did replacement body panel work, welding, and straightening where needed. Outside painting was contracted using FGLK supplied materials. FGLK did the inside cab work.
The paint used was DuPont Imron two-part epoxy paint over DuPont Imron primer. Our contractor did a nice job. (R.L.Breen Co., Savanna, NY)
Yellow for the handrails was color mixed and applied by the railroad, along with all decals, lettering, and heralds.
Regards

by MEC407

It really does look nice. I'm using that photo as wallpaper on my Windows desktop.
  by H.F.Malone

Yes, I thought that might be Imron. Boy, those GE sandboxes and delivery pipes really are wretched. Real leakers, no matter what. We removed the front deck light that was recessed in the 2203's nose, and put in drain lines inside the class lamp sockets. That pretty much eliminated the water getting into the front sandbox. It sounds like you guys had the same problems.

by checexcitation

H.F. Malone,
Unfortunately, as you know, the location and construction of the sandboxes and piping is not a strong suit of older GE's. We have a program of modifying the whole mess by cutting out the old sandboxes and building stand alone boxes in the rear. (Much like an early geep). We then try to repair the nose sandbox, adding new piping and valves all around. In the case of the 2201, the innards were just too far gone to save.
Sandboxes being built with the outer skin as one of the walls of the sandbox leaves alot to be desired! But after the mods we made, we have had very few troubles with wet sand.
BTW, Where is the 2203 you mentioned at? Also ex-P&W?

Regards

by U-Haul

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST.
Last edited by U-Haul on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by H.F.Malone

The unit is NAUG 2203, ex-P&W, and originally CR 2798--- the LAST U-series loco built (July 1977). It's been on the Naugatuck Railroad since 2003, still in P&W "patched" paint with "NR" logos.

Some views are on our website in the Santa Train section. www.rmne.org
I would put a photo up here, but I don't know how!!

It has been equipped with a home-made cold-weather standby heating system, located in the open area above the blower drive shaft.