• PB-1 exists

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by Paul

Another small differance in the drop equalizer beams: F-M units were cast, while Alco and Baldwin used flame cut plate steel. F-M felt casting was better becuz of stress caused when cutting with the torch. Funny, I have straigtened many an GSC drop equalizer beem but never saw one ever broken.

Good to see you Dave. Where you at now?

by Paul

Also, something that came to mind...sometime in 1986 or 87 there was I think a PB steam heat car on the P&W..but, it could have been an EB units as well, but for some stupid reason I thought it was a PB.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Sitting up here, in Oregon. We are having a decent discussion, on the trucks, over in the FM forum, Paul........ :-D

by Paul

Are you at Hinkle?????

by GOLDEN-ARM

Nope, not at Hinkle............ :P

(see my first post, on the previous page.......)

by rdganthracite

Paul wrote:Another small differance in the drop equalizer beams: F-M units were cast, while Alco and Baldwin used flame cut plate steel. F-M felt casting was better becuz of stress caused when cutting with the torch. Funny, I have straigtened many an GSC drop equalizer beem but never saw one ever broken.
Are you sure that the drop equilizers used on F-Ms weren't forgings?

by BR&P

The P&W steam car was an EMD E unit IIRC - it's been many years and can't recall if it was an A or B unit. If memory serves me it was bought by an individual at an Amtrak auction, stored on Ontario Midland RR, then sold by the owner and moved to P&W. This would have been somewhere about 1983-84. No idea if it still exists or not.

by Paul

Are you sure that the drop equilizers used on F-Ms weren't forgings?
Thats it' Sorry, I guess I am just getting to old to remember the trivial stuff.

by DutchRailnut

BR&P wrote:The P&W steam car was an EMD E unit IIRC - it's been many years and can't recall if it was an A or B unit. If memory serves me it was bought by an individual at an Amtrak auction, stored on Ontario Midland RR, then sold by the owner and moved to P&W. This would have been somewhere about 1983-84. No idea if it still exists or not.
Correct Providence & Worchester Px-1 is a E9B unit with just two HEP units in it.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A4

and its still active and used.