• DC Area Railfans

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by jrosser

I moved up here recently from RIchmond Virginia and was spoiled by living right down the street from ACCA, and having a seemingly unlimited amount of freight to photograph. I was wondering if anyone could lead me in the direction of a good spot to photograph/film rolling stock. I live in downtown DC and have heard rumors of a good spot at the Y that's just over the Maryland border...I'm going to check it out this weekend but didn't know if anyone had any advice. Thanks a lot.

-ross

by Aa3rt

Ross, there's an informal group called the "Riverdale Railfans" that gather in Riverdale along the CSX (old B&O) line between Washington and Baltimore. There's a small park, benches facing the tracks, and a steady stream of CSX trains to watch. Friday and Saturday evenings will usually find a group assembled, many scanner equipped, monitoring the train movements. They also have a Yahoo group. Is this what you are talking about?
  by jmonner

If you don't mind a drive, try heading NW to Point of Rocks and Brunswick, MD. All traffic west from Baltimore and DC converge for a few miles. Always somthing moving through. When I have a few hours to kill, that is where I head. It never dissappoints.

Inside DC most of the track is obscured by fences, or is in an area best travelled in a group.

Locally, the Alexandria Station (King Street Metro) is safe and usually has action as the traffic for NS Manassas line and CSX south for F'Burg haven't split yet. Also off Duke street (near quaker lane) head down the hill behind Wendy's and you can see the NS exchange yard with CSX.

There is also a small NS yard at Van Dorn Street (VD Blue line metro). Not much freight sitting, but usually 6-8 locos sittling idle. You can also see the NS line heading to Manassas an the CSX line heading south from there.

I have also sat at the Hanes Point park (Walking distance from Jefferson Memorial) (River side) and watched the traffic over the Potomac River.

by CB&Q Fan

If you don't mind a drive, try the MARC station @ Saint Denis. The last 2 saturday's I have been up there, the traffic has been good. Never had any hassles and the poeple have been friendly. I believe they are currently doing some track work. They move the old main line my last trip, but still saw 16 trains during a 7 hour period.