• Siding at Lyons, PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Rooneth3808

What kind of industry uses the siding in Lyons, PA, off NS's Reading line?
I've seen some pictures with boxcars spotted there, but i can figure out what they are for. Anyone know?

Thanks,

~Roon

by rushhour

I'm wondering the same thing as well. A while ago there used to be a tank car at the very end of the siding. So I guess they not only get boxcars. Any ideas as to what this place is?

Thanks

by RR_Fan

Roon and John,
I know the NS H47 runs out there on Saturday's. I am not sure how that train runs as it goes on the Evansville Industrial some days too. I think it runs every other day to each location. The local serves the Deka Battery Plant at Lyons. I would guess the boxcars are for the new batteries and the tank cars are full of acid for the batteries.

Take Care.
Jeff

by rushhour

Thats probably what it is then. Thanks jeff

by Rooneth3808

Wow, never knew that. And, yeah, i would assume the "every other day thing" is a good bet, thats what some of Allentowns locals do.

Hey, and thanks Jeff, i didn't even recognize that it was you! :D

~Roon

by RR_Fan

Yeah, its only me! :wink: :wink: :wink:

by joshuahouse

So they move the batteries in trucks through the village to get them to the siding, or do they have some sort of subteranian conveyer system?

by 56-57

Hey!

We (da Army) use Dekas. Now, they're not in everything we've got, but we use quite a few of them. I know my unit does.

Mike

by lvrr353

I don't know if they ship batteries out, but the lead they use comes in by rail. A friend worked for GPS in Allentown many years ago and told me stories of lead dropping out of the bottom of trailers if it was shipped over the road.