• Locomotive Markings and Destinations

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by RearOfSignal

A few days ago I saw a CP train heading north on Metro North's Hudson Line in Yonkers, NY around 19:00. The lead unit had markings on the front "StL & H"? Not sure exactly what it said since I was exiting another train as this one passed. It was carrying several center beam cars and tank cars, it also had two LIRR, MUs strapped on it.

What do the markings "StL & H" mean? Where was this train going to and where did it originate? Thanks!
  by 2spot

Excerpt from MountainRailway.com: "The St. Lawrence & Hudson Railway was introduced in a re-organization program, which was announced by the CP board of directors, on March 11, 1996. At the same time, the 1968-era company name 'CP Rail' was discontinued and replaced with 'Canadian Pacific Railway Company. The St. Lawrence & Hudson (St.L&H), or 'Eastern Operating Unit', included all trackage between Windsor, On., and Quebec City, QC, as well as the Delaware & Hudson Railroad. It also included trackage north of Toronto, On., to CP's Vaughan Intermodal Terminal. All the remaining trackage north of Vaughan, and west to Vancouver, B.C., as well as the U.S. Mid-west (the SOO Line) became the CPR's 'Western Operating Unit' and basically it's core business. (description of locomotive assignments) The St. Lawrence & Hudson Railway Inc. ceased to exist as a legal entity on January 1, 2001. On that date, all St L & H locomotive assets were folded back into the CPR and all St L & H properties became CP's Eastern Network.

by lock4244

The SL&H had a mandate... turn around the marginal eastern operations or be sold. NS was rumored to be the most likely buyer, IIRC. Not surprising CP's eastern operations weren't performing too well... I bet alot of manager didn't even know there was any CP east of Thunder Bay. They really ignored the east 'cause the easy money was in coal and grain out west.

Some of the names the employees gave the SL&H:

- Slowly Losing Hope
- Short Line to Hell

Eastern Operating Unit:

- End Of Us

by Ken V

Good stuff Mike. I hadn't heard those names before.

d

by gp9rm4108

It sure was a shocker that CP found out the track they were just about ready to get rid off started making money and they raced to cancel everything and keep it.