• Here come da ballast!

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

by Marty Feldner

Late this afternoon, NS came into Warwick with a 12 car ballast train. Apparently they'd been dropping stone on their way south, stopping somewhere north of Forester Avenue; from scanner chatter, it sounded like they only had one car left not empty at the Warwick yards. Presumably they emptied that one, and will return with more to finish the job. Then comes the track regulation.

A few weeks ago a couple of crews came through working on the joint bar bolts- tightening, and replacing as needed.

by David

How far south will they come with that?--Are there many tracks in the old Warwick Yards that are still used and might need ballast?--Too bad they are not getting that ballast out of Limecrest--Thanks

by the missing link

unfortunately the warwick yard is all gone. the engine terminal is now jones chemical, the have a little 4 wheel ge 25 tonner to move cars with. but you'll have to use telephoto 'cos that side is strictly guarded.

by David

So there are sidings left?--What is the remaining track layout like?

by the missing link

the yard tracks are gone. theres a few sidings on the enginehouse side

by NJ Vike

Looks like they put ballast here in Sparta and up to Limecrest.

They have also put in signal lights as opposed to the old crossbuck signs. One sign has already disappeared. :(

by Marty Feldner

Well- it only took NS three and a half months, but they finally started actually working on the ballast that's been sitting here. The geometry car and the tamper spent today working between Elm Street and Pelton Road. Can't rush into these things, I guess...

Between this work and the large-scale brush cutting that was done a few weeks back, the ROW in my backyard looks (and sounds) better than it has in decades.

by purplezep

Hey Marty!
Was up there 2 weeks ago on my vacation, stopped by but didn't see your car. Miss seeing your messages on this board. Wanted to thank you once again for spending time showing me the NY scene on the L&HR. Hoping to catch up with you soon to show you some things I've discovered.
Paul

by David

Ken--I believe you told me some time ago that the ballast was being placed down to the end of the line in Lime Crest. And you also mentioned, I think, that a new siding or one was being replaced in the Lime Crest area. Was it completed? There were crossing lights also placed at the crossing towards the end too? Has the Lime Crest ballast Plant completely closed? Thanks in advance.

by NJ Vike

David wrote:Ken--I believe you told me some time ago that the ballast was being placed down to the end of the line in Lime Crest. And you also mentioned, I think, that a new siding or one was being replaced in the Lime Crest area. Was it completed? There were crossing lights also placed at the crossing towards the end too? Has the Lime Crest ballast Plant completely closed? Thanks in advance.
Dave,

Yes - The work at Limecrest has been completed. Signals and Gates have now replaced the old Crossbucks.

On a sad note- Someone has stolen the old Crossbuck sign at Corkhill Road that had the Susquehanna lettering on it. I believe I showed you when you were here last.

by purplezep

Plenty of action at Davis Road in Franklin today. Looks like they were replacing some rails and ties.