• NYA's south mainline...is it used?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by NYCS

I have a quick question concerning the NYA, and since I no longer live in the area, thought I would ask it here...

I was looking at a map of NYA routes and I'm wondering how the railroad's southernmost mainline is used. This is the line that would go through Baldwin, Freeport, Merrick, Bellmore, and further east. Since I know this line parrallels Sunrise Highway on an elevated trestle for quite a ways, it's hard for me to imagine freight trains traversing the elevated portions of the LIRR.

I know Quality Lineals is in Freeport, but do NYA trains travel east of there? If so, do they use the elevated viaduct?

Does anyone have a high quality map of the NYA other than that two-bit map they have on their website?

by Long Island 7285

Usally if they are going out to Bridged hampton they go via the "south" lines.
I haven't seen that car in Freeport switched in a long time. But they do get routed sometimes that direction.

by Nova55

The covered hopper over in Freeport was purchased by that company and they use it for storage.