• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Irish Chieftain

transit planner wrote:First of all, at least 50% of the funding has to be non-federal, and NJT is not going to pay the majority local share, it has to come from Pennslyvania, since most Cutoff ridership is in PA, based on data from 2005, and I don't see PA coming up with $150 million to $200 million
A number of falsehoods here:
  • The TEA-21 bill has been grandfathered, not reauthorized, so it's still 80/20 and not 50/50 (if the reverse were the case, the web would be a-buzz with that).
  • The state of NJ thus far has put up nothing of its share (it did, however, buy the Cutoff from Jerry Turco), whereas PA has put up far more than its required $40 million.
  • "Most Cutoff ridership" is from (not in) PA? Not necessarily. Reverse commutation due to business development in Monroe and Lackawanna Counties would be stimulated by rail service; and the sizeable tourist traveler population is nothing to be snuffed at. "Data" for a nonexistent rail service is not data—witness the River Line carrying 160 percent of its projected ridership.
  • Serving the "extreme commuters" is still a very worthwhile goal—quite a number of these who dwell in Pike and Wayne Counties have already discovered the Port Jervis Line (which, in spite of the lack of growth in Port Jervis proper, never mind the rest of Orange County, continues to grow service). If the PJ Line is easily accessible from I-84, the Cutoff service has the bulk of I-80 and all of I-380 to garner ridership from.
THE TUNNEL has funding momentum behind it, so the feds will not approve another project until after THE TUNNEL is under construction
THE Boondoggle isn't as far along as the Cutoff in terms of studies. All it would take to get the Cutoff rolling again is a small amount of funding from the state of NJ, and federal funding will get released. THE Tunnel is far more complex, since it is a bi-state project and would still require a higher commitment from New York State than a supposed PANYNJ "earmark" (which is not a definite amount, despite what the press releases say, nor is it a definite earmark)—and recall that the MTA pulled out of the project back in 2003, killing a lot of support—further still, there is no NJ money earmarked for the tunnel project, not without Corzine's plan to "reform, replenish and grow" the state TTF being (somehow) executed (this affects tunnel and cutoff alike).
You don't get $3 billion in federal funds and then more for another project that easily
What $3 billion...? Please show us. There is no federal money earmarked for THE Thing.
not generally known, but there are capacity constraints in the peak hour on the M&E, especially Millburn to Summit
Not valid to assume that all Cutoff trains must operate via the Morristown Line. Also not valid to assume that trains must be added, when instead express trains between Hoboken and Dover can be extended.
NJT is developing a list of projects that need to be done to deliver higher capacity to feed the new Trans-hudson express tunnel. Without these projects, it will be difficult to maintain a full Cutoff schedule
That would be a mistake. The original North River Tunnels would need to be closed for extensive repair once the new tunnel opened, so no trains could ever be added before that was done; and the capacity constraints on the High Line would also need to be addressed prior to even conceiving more new service.
Also, who said it was "expected" that the Cutoff would get a positive federal rating? Without a viable financial plan, state of PA and county tax commitment, and high cost effectiveness rating, this project is not going anywhere
Debunked already, as far as your assumptions about the state of PA go. Notwithstanding, you have a point that applies to NJ—and more so if NJT were to be the operator, which is not necessary (if Amtrak were not so constrained by the federal government, they could become the operator).
Only chance it would go foward if it was totally state funded, so you don't have to go through federal process, which is why River Line happened
Apples and oranges. River Line is an intrastate project and does not cross state lines. And it was not completely "in-house", since Bechtel and Bombardier are not NJ-state-owned corporations.
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by northjerseybuff

Awesome response IrishChieftrain! I couldn't have said it better myself!

by northjerseybuff

How come this thread is not a sticky anymore? What happened to the posts from the last few days??

by nick11a

Irish Chieftan felt it was time to unsticky it and I fully support him in the matter. There hasn't been any real news too recently on passenger service on the cutoff. Any discussion on trash trains on the Lackawanna Cuttoff are better suited to the "New Jersey Railfan" forum as here in the NJT forum, we focus on the passenger end of things on the Cutoff. As a result, I've retitled the thread to be clear.

by rvrrhs

nick11a wrote:Irish Chieftan felt it was time to unsticky it and I fully support him in the matter. There hasn't been any real news too recently on passenger service on the cutoff. Any discussion on trash trains on the Lackawanna Cuttoff are better suited to the "New Jersey Railfan" forum as here in the NJT forum, we focus on the passenger end of things on the Cutoff. As a result, I've retitled the thread to be clear.
I can't find the Cutoff trash train discussion on the New Jersey Railfan forum...

Please tell us where you moved the last few offending posts (including mine) from here.

Thanks.

by nick11a

rvrrhs wrote:
nick11a wrote:Irish Chieftan felt it was time to unsticky it and I fully support him in the matter. There hasn't been any real news too recently on passenger service on the cutoff. Any discussion on trash trains on the Lackawanna Cuttoff are better suited to the "New Jersey Railfan" forum as here in the NJT forum, we focus on the passenger end of things on the Cutoff. As a result, I've retitled the thread to be clear.
I can't find the Cutoff trash train discussion on the New Jersey Railfan forum...

Please tell us where you moved the last few offending posts (including mine) from here.

Thanks.
I didn't remove or move any posts. And with this software, we're not able to move individual posts- only whole threads. So thus, I would assume that they are gone. However, you are more than welcome to start a new thread in the "New Jersey Railfan" Forum.

by RussNelson

nick11a wrote:I didn't remove or move any posts.
Then where did my joke about "Trash on a Train! .... soon to be a major motion picture starring Samuel L. Jackson" go? And my other joke about "Yeah, enough of this trash talk!"
If you're going to delete all my jokes, how are we to have any fun, enjoyment, hilarity and amusement?

by northjerseybuff

Irish Chieftan felt it was time to unsticky it and I fully support him in the matter. There hasn't been any real news too recently on passenger service on the cutoff

You're joking right?? I suppose the meeting in NEPA(Scranton) in May was not big news on passenger service? Or how about NJT sending in the environmental studies(finally) to the feds? Response back from the feds could be anytime now..this project is NOT dead and will surface again. Besides THE tunnel, if approved by the feds will be the only other major project on NJT's hands
I would ask to please keep it a sticky
Besides that..the cutoff topic could include any of this other freight/garbage talk

by Jtgshu

So we have stickies on the NYSW and West Shore Restoration, but not the one thats the furthest along out of the three?

RIIIIIIIIIIGHT

I agree also, that the "trash talk" does involve the cut off, because for the line to be rebuilt only for passenger trains i think is crazy. Of course, there are NJT imposed restrictions east of Port Morris yard where freights can run, the weights, speeds, etc, but its crazy to say "No freight on the cutoff - ever ever ever ever" -

I think Alans (RVRR) second letter was very well composed, and I would send it into the paper. Someone needs to show these people that the trash is already flying through their neighborhoods at great speeds - and accidents happen. Putting it on a train, which may or may not run over the cut off, will protect and keep Mrs. Jones from getting into an accident with her SUV wiht Johnny, Sally, and Billy in the back seat on teh way to Soccer practice. Thats an undeniable fact, that even the NIMBY's can't refute, which in the end will help rail, both freight and passenger, everywhere.

by Steve F45

Jtgshu wrote:So we have stickies on the NYSW and West Shore Restoration, but not the one thats the furthest along out of the three?

RIIIIIIIIIIGHT

I agree also, that the "trash talk" does involve the cut off, because for the line to be rebuilt only for passenger trains i think is crazy. Of course, there are NJT imposed restrictions east of Port Morris yard where freights can run, the weights, speeds, etc, but its crazy to say "No freight on the cutoff - ever ever ever ever" -

I think Alans (RVRR) second letter was very well composed, and I would send it into the paper. Someone needs to show these people that the trash is already flying through their neighborhoods at great speeds - and accidents happen. Putting it on a train, which may or may not run over the cut off, will protect and keep Mrs. Jones from getting into an accident with her SUV wiht Johnny, Sally, and Billy in the back seat on teh way to Soccer practice. Thats an undeniable fact, that even the NIMBY's can't refute, which in the end will help rail, both freight and passenger, everywhere.
i dont agree with keeping the NYSW/West shore stickies since nobody has posted in either of the combined threads or the individual ones in quiet awhile. This is posted in atleast once a day, Keep it a sticky.

by nick11a

Restickied. But, if you want to discuss trash trains (and I do find the issue relevant and important), bring it to New Jersey Railfan forum. This is for passenger service restoration. Trash trains on the Lackawanna cutoff is a wedge issue and can be discussed elsewhere.

Thank you for your understanding. I realize this will not please everyone, and I am doing the best I can, but if you have any problems, you can always take it up with me personally and if I can't satisfy you, you can take it up with the magistrate and I'll always abide by their decisions.

by blockline4180

We should be hearing back from the feds by September regarding the final preliminary engineering study.

by northjerseybuff

Really..september? how did you come across that date? I heard it could be really anytime..within the year(?) hopefully sooner than later
NJT actually owns the cutoff ROW as of today August 8th, 2006 correct? or is it the NJ DEP?

Can I ask a stupid question regarding the federal review process of an environmenal study?
These people are non partisan correct? meaning they can't be persuaded by politicos? or am i naive to think that way in this particular area?

by rvrrhs

nick11a wrote:
rvrrhs wrote:

Thanks.
I didn't remove or move any posts. And with this software, we're not able to move individual posts- only whole threads. So thus, I would assume that they are gone. However, you are more than welcome to start a new thread in the "New Jersey Railfan" Forum.
Nick, what I really would like is the text of the letters-to-the-editor that I posted in the missing posts, since I only wrote them here, not off-line...and the original link to the newspaper article that I was reacting to.

by nick11a

rvrrhs wrote:Nick, what I really would like is the text of the letters-to-the-editor that I posted in the missing posts, since I only wrote them here, not off-line...and the original link to the newspaper article that I was reacting to.
Yes, I do realize that. And I do apoligize, but Irish deleted them and it is beyond my power to help you in that- I would if I could.