• Railfanning Around Oneonta

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by TB Diamond

Yes, Otto, and they had a neat little 0-6-0 which I photographed standing at the old NYC Oneonta station one evening in July, 1969.

by ricebrianrice

Did the D & O every haul any freight? I can't picture who they would have deliveryed frieght to on the first 2.6 miles of the Ulster & Delaware.

by Otto Vondrak

They had a customer somewhere. A lumberyard or something. Not enough to keep the whole line going.

-otto-
  by trevor macpherson

I've been toying with the notion of CPR laying double track from the border to Bingo. Because this would help stop costly delays and local companies turning back to trucks for supplying there company. What do you guys think???

by nytee

I recently went to Oneonta on business. I saw two GG1's rusting along the main line, and two F or E units with the New haven Logo, i believe. These units had no connection to the main line. Anyone know the history of any of these engines?

by ANDY117

That's in Cooperstown Junction. I believe they're museum pieces.

by Aji-tater

Trevor - In my opinion that's likely to happen as soon as they bring back steam engines. (The steamers have to take water quite often so the second track would allow other trains to get around them while they are stopped at the water tanks) If for some strange reason the steamers don't make a return, I'm betting the double tracking won't happen. But what do I know?
  by ricebrianrice

There was a good posting about the GG-1's a month or so ago.

I will try to briefly summarize.

1 of the GG-1's has been purchased by the Henry Ford Musuem, but has never been transported there.

The other GG-1 is privately owned by a member of the Leatherstocking Railway Historical Society.

Both are in pretty bad shape.

The F/E units, I am not sure who owns these, but they are on that side of the track for an eventual museum they plan on building.
http://www.lrhs.com/aboutlrhs.htm
gives a good overveiw of there plans.

by scottychaos

The F-units at Cooperstown Junction are former Metro North FL9's..
Scot

by ANDY117

Is it still connected to the CP?

by trevor macpherson

How many tracks are left in the old Oneonta Yard??? How many tracks were there??? Does anybody have a map??? Thanks!!!

by trevor macpherson

yeah im on that forum. So then that leaves the question about how many are left.

by trevor macpherson

I was reading a post in the dandh yahoo group and I read that supposedly CP is putting in new signals. Heres the post....

CP is starting to erect new signals now.....working south from Oneonta. To date, most new signal locations on the Oneonta end seem to be at the same locations of the current signals (about 3 mile blocks). However, I would suspect that the older searchlight signals found between Unadilla and Afton will soon fall to new signals erected at new locations.....especially since some of these blocks are currently much shorther in legnth. So get your pictures of the old searchlight signals now!

by aline1969

does anyone have photos of the yard/station... there was a round house there right? The historical society now occupies a nice store front downtown.