• NS Fort Wayne Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by btrains25

It's been 7 years since CR has ceased to exist as a seperate railroad, and yet I'm still confused about ownership of trackage.

I am aware that the Fort Wayne Line is owned by NS up to Crestline. I am also aware that CSX owns the line from Crestline into Indiana. I also know that CSX leases their part of the line out to CF&E. What confuses me are the following:

NS runs very few trains on their part of the line, usually very short trains shuttling cars between Canton, Massilon, Wooster, Orrville, and Mansfield. Does NS run any trains west of Mansfield, and if so, where do they go when they reach Crestline?

I heard a rumor that NS is looking to remove signalling and one track of the double/triple track portions of the line. Is this true?

Does CSX run any trains over the part they lease to CF&E, or did they give up service?

I know that CR butchered the signaling system on the line west of Bucyrus or around there when Amtrak pulled out in 1991, but what is left of the signal system? I'm familiar with the signals at the photographed junctions, like Van Wert, Lima, etc. and all of the signals are very generic Absolute signals with restricting. Are there any of the Manual block signals along this line, or any of the PL signal version of the Approach Restricting/Approach Clear?

What are the symbols and relative times of the NS Fort Wayne line trains around Canton/Massilon? I'm trying to get there to photograph the last few active PL signals in northern Ohio and I seem to catch trains heading the opposite direction so all I see are stop signals (if the signals aren't approach lit).

Speaking of the signals, where does the formal signalling of the Fort Wayne line finally stop?

Thanks,
Brad

by railohio

I've got your answers but no time to type them up tonite yet. Look for a more detailed reply later this week. Promise. :wink:

by ccaranna

I've had many questions about this line, too. I'm looking forward to the answer!

When I was up in Bucyrus for the first time last month, I came across this line. I didn't stay all day, but I did catch a few trains, one each from the CSX, NS, and CF&E.

The CSX appeared to be a grain train? (all covered hoppers) heading westbound.

The CF&E looked like it was doing local work, and the NS train was NS 13V (confirmed via radio) that came westbound off the Ft. Wayne line onto the Sandusky district. I am pretty sure that this is a Conway-Buckeye Yard train. Below is a photo of it on the connecting track between the two lines.

I am still not sure about NS trackage rights, but from what I have "heard", they are permitted by CSX to run a certain number of trains west past Crestline per day, but my sources may be incorrect!
Last edited by ccaranna on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by railohio

As I said in a private message to the original poster, I was waiting on a contact to call back. Since that hasn't happened I'll have to do some digging through other sources.

by ccaranna

Thanks, pardon my over-zealous enthusiasm.

by railohio

No problem. It's my fault for making statments I couldn't back up.

by ichogger

It's owned by Rail America now. It's called the CF&E.

by railohio

It seems like I'll be tied to my iBook this weekend to finish some other projects so I'll post what I can from my bookshelf and make another round of calls next week.

by ccaranna

I think the original poster may have gotten his answer on this board. No offense to this board, but I'm posting the link just in case anyone is curious about the line. Not sure if you have to be a member to see posts, but here it is anyway:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1150047542

Chuck

by railohio

*bangs head on desk*
  by railohio

btrains25 wrote:NS runs very few trains on their part of the line, usually very short trains shuttling cars between Canton, Massilon, Wooster, Orrville, and Mansfield. Does NS run any trains west of Mansfield, and if so, where do they go when they reach Crestline?
NS has trackage rights over the CFE from Crestline to the Colsan interlocking in Bucyrus. There are about a dozen trains a day that utilize this. This arrangement is the reason that NS still dispatches the line -- they don't want to turn over the control of any of their operations to RailAmerica.
I heard a rumor that NS is looking to remove signalling and one track of the double/triple track portions of the line. Is this true?
Nothing I've heard from my contacts in the area, but nothing out of the realm of possiblities, either.
Does CSX run any trains over the part they lease to CF&E, or did they give up service?
CSX operates unit grain trains in cooperation with the CFE. Usually CSX provides equipment and CFE the crews. There are no regularly scheduled through freights operated on the line by CSX but it is available to them should they need to reroute their trains off the Willard and Garrett subdivisions in an emergency.
I know that CR butchered the signaling system on the line west of Bucyrus or around there when Amtrak pulled out in 1991, but what is left of the signal system? I'm familiar with the signals at the photographed junctions, like Van Wert, Lima, etc. and all of the signals are very generic Absolute signals with restricting. Are there any of the Manual block signals along this line, or any of the PL signal version of the Approach Restricting/Approach Clear?
I know there are still position light signals up at the interlockings at Dunkirk and Upper Sandusky, but I'm not sure about the intermediates on the line.
What are the symbols and relative times of the NS Fort Wayne line trains around Canton/Massilon? I'm trying to get there to photograph the last few active PL signals in northern Ohio and I seem to catch trains heading the opposite direction so all I see are stop signals (if the signals aren't approach lit).
My old NS symbol list doesn't have anything on the Ft. Wayne Line in it so I'll see what I can dig up online for you.
Speaking of the signals, where does the formal signalling of the Fort Wayne line finally stop?
Does this help?

Crestline to Colsan - 261
Colsan to Adams - DCS
Adams to Mike - Yard Limit
Adams to Decatur - Yard Limit
Mike to Sand - Traffic Control
Sand to CN Crossing - TWC
CN Crossing to County - Traffic Control
County to Tolleston - TWC

I hope this is enough to get you started!