• Rail Train

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC1118

A welded rail train for the MBTA's Lowell Line is now sitting on GRS track
between Western Avenue(Lowell) and N.Chelmsford. The early line is that
it will dump its strings Tuesday and Wednesday in two spots. Which should be between N.Billerica & Wilmington and just north of Winchester.

Power should be the 3247 plus another T unit (likely an 1100)

D

by Rockingham Racer

You sure it's not for service to Nashua and Manchester?!!
[Just kidding :wink: ]

by b&m 1566

I saw that sitting on a siding when I took the train from Lowell to Boston for the 4th. The Lowell Line finally getting some welded rails??? :-D

by Porter Sq

Thank You God this is finally happening. The ride Between Wilmington and N Billerica is the worst. CWR should help out alot. I do belive there are some sections of CWR on the Lowell Line but mostly South of Wilmington.
  by third trick ACTD

Word is that MBCR leased 2 P&W GP 38's for the rail train 2006/2007. They are picking them up in Pawtucket this morning

by MBTA3247

Yep. I took a few pictures of them at BET this afternoon. I'll post them later tonight if anyone's interested.

by StevieC48

Photos are always a welcome addition please post the link to them and welcome aboard RR.Net the MBTA Forum.

by MBTA3247

Last edited by MBTA3247 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by StevieC48

Nice shots.
  by Derf

I saw the P&W units go through Cambridge yesterday on a light engine mood (my window overlooks the grade crossing on Main Street) and I was wondering why they were staying so far from home.

I look out the window and watch all of the trains go by, but this time I stood up and really looked. The horn was so differant from the rest of the moves on the line.
  by GP40MC1118

It put up at Anderson Station in Woburn this afternoon on Track 4 & the
New England Resin siding lead (2 engs & 35 cars).

Resumes dumping tomorrow, mostly north of Winchester.

D

by l008com

I'm confused, what exactly is this train doing? Welding rail or dumping ballast oooooor? Hopefully its still around tomorrow night, I'll have to go check it out.

by l008com

Also why do people call the NE resin track, track 4 when there are only 3 tracks?
  by GP40MC1118

It's dumping strings of welded rail for installation at a later time.

NE Resin is still a siding off Track 4 at Wilbur Interlocking. Wilbur
Interlocking is on the north end of the station. Crawford is the
interlocking on the south end of the station.

Track 4 exists only between Wilbur and Crawford. It an "even"
number because its off No.2 Track (southbound mainline).

D

by l008com

Oh I get it. So how do they get the rail off the train? And also, anyone know when they plan on installing all this rail?

BTW someone posted lots of pics to nerail:
http://photos.nerail.org/show/?bydate:1