Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by spencer8b75

I could not belive it but finally I saw for myself..I live in Pelham Bay and use a 6/4or5/R combination to commute to my job with Amtrak to Sunnyside Yard..It is very rare that I get to ride the R32's..They are not on the R very often. Today because of a payroll snafu I had to stay a little later than usuall but I lucked out big time. I have always been told that trains rarely travel over 45 MPH in the subway system. It is very hard to judge train speed while in a tunnel..I was able to grab a seat in the first car where the motorman had a C-Clamp holding his door open just wide enough so that I could see his speed indication without imposing on him. I am not gonna be specific on the timeframe. Between Queens Plaza and 59TH Street we hit a whopping 56 MPH..I was extremley impressed...How accurate are these speedometers??? At Amtrak --Engineers are required to check thier speedometers against thier watches using "Mearsured Miles". If there is a descrepency it has to be reported to the maitenence department..I just wish the stretch under East River was as long as Amtrak's under the Hudson!!!!! :P Amtrak is olny allowed 60 in the tunnels..
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

Actually several facts, those are Not Engineers, they are Train Operators. However, that guy u rode with was obviously a Motorman. Although the title is called Train Operator, my uncle often told me calling someone a Train operator is a insult. Every Railroad and transit system has them. In Metro North, u have engineers and Train operators. Whats a train operator? Someone who looks like the train is operating them. Those speedometers are pretty accurate, and yes u did hit 56mph in the 59th street tubes. The reason being is because if u have a Motorman and not a Train Operator, he knows how to work those timers. The tunnel is actually a downhill, so gravity is pulling the train. Upon reaching the middle, a Motorman would keep it wrapped around, and gravity will drag u to 30mph, entering 59th street for a "safe stop". A Train Operator will hit the brakes in the tubes unnecessarily, making for a slow 40mph ride! Btw, I have hit 61mph with a R40slant on the W, and I even hit 53 with a R46 on the R, and a 53 with a R68A! now u know how the 68As are, so that was CRAZY!!!
  by spencer8b75

I very much indeed thank you for your reply to this topic that I brought up.. I do know that there is alot tension regarding the classification of Motorman,,Train Operator and Locomotive Engineer... Please read my original post again and you will see that I PROPERLY identified whoever was at the controls of my Manhattan Bound R as a Motorman not an Engineer. I knew whomever it was up there was a veteran and had expierence.....And regardless of thier title I have respect for that individual. I have a passion for anything that runs on rails and I am sure just like most Locomotive Engineers, Motorman have a sense of pride in what they do too. I wonder how many Motorman are still out there when they could have retired already. Engineers and Motorman both had to work the board for years to earn a normal life,, Both are responsible for the safe transport of the public from point A to B and we both had incidents caused by wreckless individuals that forever changed how we do buisness..I do thank you for the info you provided me with as to how the Motorman was able to run that fast but still being it to such a smooth stop at 59TH Street..I wish to learn more about the NYC Transit Sytem,,, Afterall things are looking worse than they have ever been here at Amtrak.....From day one the Amtrak VETs have been telling me to GET with the MET :wink:
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

yea well I wouldnt mind showing you what I know if u didnt mind. I not only work for Metro North, I have a uncle who is a Motorman, and a father who is a Bus Operator, for NYCT. I dont know how things are for Amtrak now, but I found out recently I do have retired Amtrak in my family. My extended family that is.

any more info, PM or email me.

by Robert Paniagua

I've ridden on an R68A once and when we were crossing the East River inbound to Manhattan, our train also did 56 mph.