• Street-running locations in PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Elwood

I thought Philly was trying to do away with the street running on Delaware Ave. Tell you the truth, I didn't know trains still ran those old tracks, of course, I have not been there in a long time.

Elwood

by Urban D Kaye

Elwood -
Yeh, those tracks still see a fair amount of use, at least on the South Philly end, Oregon to Snyder.
  by 2nd trick op

The Bloomsburg trackage cited was the Reading's branch to Orangeville and Benton, which started out as the Bloomsburg and Sullivan (County).

Not sure about the abanadonment date, but the last time I can recall seeing a freight car in Benton was in the spring of 1967, and I believe I encountered a Reading switcher on the line while driving on I-80, which paralelled both the Reading line and the PRR's Watsontown-Berwick line, sometime in the next two summers.

The line was definitely out of service after the Hurricane Agnes flood of June, 1972, and the Conrail merger eliminated any need for a Reading line into the town of Bloomsburg.

As an aside. Berwick had, and still has, two short blocks on Oak Street (North Shore, former DL&W) to serve the various industries that inhabit the former American Car & Foundry/Berwick Forge and Fabricating plant.

In addition, until the 1940's, a spur line ran four long blocks eastward on Third Street to serve the original Jackson & Woodin foundry (a progenitor of AC&F).