• Maine Calais branch proposal

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Cosmo

This is a serious relife to me as I am quite fond of that line and would rather see "Rail WITH Trail" as opposed to the ripping up of rails to create a trail! I was overjoyed to hear of the proposal for restored service near Ellsworth (having lived there prior to my enlistment,) and had always hoped for service to someday return.
This is truly the best of BOTH worlds!
Way to go Maine!
Cosmo

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I agree it's the best of both worlds, increasing public access, while preserving the rail lines. The notes indicate these discussions took place in 2000. Is there any more recent news?

by Sir Ray

Yes, and it's not good - there seems to be a plan to remove the track, and then replace it later if warrented.
http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=133903[/quote]

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

Yes, and it's not good - there seems to be a plan to remove the track, and then replace it later if warrented.
I found that article with a Google search. Also in the B&M/Central Maine section there's a discussion about this decision. I was too depressed to post a follow up.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. How short-sighted.

by Eric B. NJMT

Ok so what is going on with the branch? Are they bringing back trains or are they ripping up the tracks?

by cbrrfan

The state plans on ripping up the 87 miles from Washington Junction to Ayers Junction to build a multi-use trail.

The segment from Brewer to Washington Junction has been leased to a not for profit which is rehabilitating this portion for excursion service, see web link---www.downeastscenicrail.org.

The segment from Calais to Ayers Junction is being retained with rails in place for a future connection with Eastport.

Downeast Rail website has a good description on it which helps sort out this plan by MaineDOT.

by oibu

All of which is fine were it not for 1.)severing any possibility of future through service and 2.) "missing the point" in that Wash. Jct- Ayers Jct. is most of the best scenery on the line from a tourist perspective. :(