• Dakota and Iowa schedule

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by cito

I will be in the Sioux Falls area in July, and was hoping to photograph a D&I road train. Does that rock-hauling line have any set schedule between Dell Rapids and Sioux City? How many trains a week?
  by cnw6922

cito wrote:I will be in the Sioux Falls area in July, and was hoping to photograph a D&I road train. Does that rock-hauling line have any set schedule between Dell Rapids and Sioux City? How many trains a week?
No real schedule, but there is usually one train on the line on any given day. These trains are real land barges and don't move very fast. Hawarden should be productive along with SC.

by cito

Great --- thanks, 6922. I've seen photos with two "Rio Grande" SD39s on that line --- have the geeps been put out to pasture, or substantially augmented?

by cnw6922

cito wrote:Great --- thanks, 6922. I've seen photos with two "Rio Grande" SD39s on that line --- have the geeps been put out to pasture, or substantially augmented?
Nope they use all the power they have. It was typical to see 6 geeps on a rock train. They would be well over 100 cars long and really heavy. The ex SP SD39's used to work in Colorado out of Ft Collins, but have been swapped with the two ex DRGW SD45's and are mixed in with the geeps on the rock trains. I haven't been home (I grew up in SC) for about 5 years but the trains and power always seemed to be the same over the last 20 some years.