• Remote Control Locomotive

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by jwhite07

Still waiting to see that caboose! Next week hopefully.
Where exactly are these cabooses coming from?

by Realityrail

The cabooses ar former CP vans that were on the property of the BAR and came to MM&A in the purchase of the property. So MM&A is able to build RC control cars with what they have on hand, excluding the controls.
  by robc

The second RCL is under unconstruction. This one will have refinements to the first design that will makes improvements on the layout. Electrical and air piping will go over the top, into the side walls of the obsevation decks. This will decrease any worse case scenario damages in case of any type of derailment. Antennas will all be Excalibur brand for durability. RCL cabinet layout if more streamlined for cabling ease. Spectra Radio with DTMF for dialing up telephone services and dispatcher communications. All RCL's are equpted with a Q-tron axle generator used to provide speed in 1/10th of a mile increments displayed on the operators beltpack. Pressing on.......
  by robc

Excuse the spelling, that's construction, not unconstruction
  by soolinexec

Amazing. Heard that some railroad outfits down in the lower midwest are looking at the Caboose and Cattron RCL concept. Not bad MM&A. Looks like good ideas, like rumours and news, travel fast.

by mick

You all are forgetting to mention one thing in your discussion about RCL's,
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by soolinexec

So what is your point? Your examples of extreme cold weather conditions, subzero temerature etc. are very little in numbers per year. Your out there on the ground doing your job anyways. Why not do it safer with a remote? So you change your plan of action to accomadate the enviornment. What is the problem? I never did understand why people make rebuttals against something new. They always choose to use extreme arguments. This reaks of resist change.

And yes, EOT's do not float. But guess what? The designs are changing because of actions like you. They are getting rugged in designs. Out of site, out of mind, right?? Because of your abusive treatment of this expensive equipment, the only one's who pay are guys like you whether you know it or not. Who pays for those in the shop? You do. So those of you out there doing this type of dysfunctional behavior, do go crying because companies can't make a go of it. Mention that at your next union meeting when you go to stand up asking why it just didn't work out and failure is now upon us. They don't hand out towels. Unfortunately, there are those who much rather kill the messanger then have the intellegence to investigate the source. EOT's are here to stay, cabooses are museum pieces. Do what you always do, get what you always get. As long as you live in the past, you will never see whats in your future.

Get with the program trainman. If you don't, somebody will.
  by soolinexec

The U.P.R.R ordered approx. 113 RCL systems from Cattron Theimeg for the April / May timeframe. Seems Cattron is becoming a respected contender in the Remote Control world. I do know they are world wide and their products are used thoughout Europe.

by Realityrail

Soo Line---Rock on, dude!

I am disgusted with the safety propoganda in rebuttle to RC operations. This "two men are safer" has been stated before when we went from five to four to three men on a train. Are more people safer?

Metra killed a young boy a few months back do to a violation of their operating rules. The main train involved in the error had two men in the cab. One was a student engineer who was operating the cab car. He was supervised by the General Chairman of the BLE. The error of these two men caused the death of an innocent boy. So much for the "two men are safer" bull.

MM&A is doing what needs to be done. It is either lead, follow, or get out of the way. They have chosen to lead and will be successful because of it.

Their attitude is one of the best in the industry. Their president, Bob Grindrod has made the operation a pleasurable experience for the employees. Even with all the troubles they had at start up, he personally signed and sent of holiday greeting cards to every employee. He even included a modest bonus check. He also sends each employee a birthday card.

The management team is focused and moving. The locomotive fleet is doing great. This is what makes it all worth while---and makes others stand up and take notice.
  by soolinexec

Nice piece realityrail! Like General Patton once said: It's not how big the dog is in the fight, but how big the fight is in the dog. You got to instill new ideas, better ways of doing things, and get excited when new technology shows its face. Stay hungry. The more efficient you operate, the more it pays off. If MM&A is one family and no outside influences with hidden agendas and motives, then you will do fine. There will always be locals who just don't get it or stays within their safey box confinements. It's easy to pick them out. They usually leave a tail comment with a point to prove. RCL is good technology and if I were you trainmen, I would spend more time asking for training guides, user's manuals and anyone who has a good background with RCL and seize the opportunity. It will be in your best interests to step up to the plate.

Count your blessings you have skilled people out there that can build these and roll them out. These RCL's are quite sophisicated and it cost big bucks to have this custom built! Some R.R's have company reps right there with them on site. For those that can afford it of course. CP wrapped up about 186 grand apiece when they first rolled out. Hell, they even got a department just to maintain these in Alythe yard. UP and CSX same way.

by mick

Soolinexec, my restored to the rear. You can imagine the problems this creates.
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by soolinexec

I'll answer these short and sweet. I am not in the practice of beating a dead horse. To the cold weather and related subject, Midwest is far extreme in terms of conditions of the weather. Case in point Winnepeg. Cold, frigid weather, tornadoes, heat waves, yeah we know all about it. Here is a good learning tool, inquire with your Canadian counterparts on practices with the RCL. They have been using them since 1991 so you may tap into a well full of experience that may make your learning experience pleasurable. All you need to do is ask. They have walked the plank many times and can give you some good information. Make an effort and contact them. Who knows, may work out better than you think.

Now, as for the EOT's? Remember the 3 monkeys sitting on a wall.

1. See no evil
2. Hear no evil
3. Speak no evil

Radio shops have full time caretakers of these units repairing damaged cases, pulled off antennas, shattered HV markers, hammered on covers, Glad hand hoses ripped out of the threads. Main circuit board corrosion from large volumes of water.

I invite your observations, normal wear and tear??

by Cowford

Three crewmen on road trains? That's not even status quo - that's going back in time. If the road train has a lot of work, how 'bout a utility man in a vehicle that can service more than one train at a time. Yes, given the light density on MMA and distances involved, this may be impractical... but I can't imagine an MMA road train with so much work a second trainman is needed.

Sooline's got it right - accept the new technology, learn how to use it to its best ability, and hope that by doing so, you'll play a part in turning the railroad around.

I still think the old CP main will always remain an anchor around the MMA's neck (the State is shelling out lots of cash- time to build that connection to Keag)... but that's a topic for another day.

by mick

Well,
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by soolinexec

Why are we talking about this? It's a remote control thread here. I see your story above and you know, it's always the same thing. Protect my job. More guys, more guys, more guys. I just can't buy all of your argument without seeing the real picture. I am quite sure there is some purposeful dragging to slow up the job, looking the other way and never input suggestions to make it happen faster and more efficient. That will be defeating your cause, more jobs, more jobs, more jobs. It's the same ole drill, we need to go back in time. It will never happen unless your Micheal Jay Fox.

I am quite sure a plan can be made up with the amount of guys you already have. I bet if it was a do or die situation where your company was at stake of surviving or the streets, you sure as hell would be reborn with a brand new sense or urgency! Alot of companies are like like, COMPLACIENT!!!!

I am positive if you had another railroad right next to you, competing for the same business to keep your jobs, we wouldn't be talking all this negative stuff. I am dead sure you would be looking for better ways of doing things in order to become efficient.

There something missing with this picture. It's always the railroads fault, not once have I heard someone step forward and submit a plan based on changing the ways we do things without the same ole add more job routine. Anyhow, let's keep it to RCL's here plz??