• UP net income drops 62%

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by LCJ

Here's a brief quote from Wall Street Journal article from last week: :(

OMAHA, Neb. -- Union Pacific Corp.'s first-quarter net income dropped 62%, despite record-high revenue, as crew shortages and freight backups continued to hurt the largest railroad in the U.S.

Since last fall, Union Pacific has been dogged by service problems that have prevented it from meeting a surge in freight traffic, which several months ago began to signal an upswing in the U.S. economy.
  by HE4GVSU

:(

This is interesting...since I am doing a college term paper on the profits of Union Pacfic. I am looking for information on how much upper management annual income is, vs. labor. What kind of cutbacks has each of these departments have taken. How has the income of these two groups changed over the last 5 years. What kind of stock options are availble, and who determines who gets safety awards, kickbacks, ets, and who determines how the individual shop budgets are dispersered. Can any one help me, or give me some ideas on where to find out this kind of information.

Thanks.

by LCJ

Get a copy of the UP annual report to start with. Much of what you seek will be there.

The story of Union Pacific over the last decade is an interesting one -- worthy of such a paper, I believe.

Periodicals such as Railway Age may be a source for more information.

I envy your having Google to begin research for papers. In my college days we were limited by what our local library had on shelf!

Good luck.
  by HE4GVSU

:D

Thanks, I do have a copy of the annual report, and it does give informaiton on stock options, etc. I am also looking for information on the kinds of cutbacks if any management has taken. I know as a labor worker, our cutbacks have come in increased medical fees, little or no perks, and very little appreatation (at least at my shop) for a job well done. Promotions are a long time coming...say you get a promotion and you are not set up in your promotion for 8 months or more??? sounds crasy doesn't it. (But yet that is what is happing where I work). Management does not acknowlege you unless you have a rule violation, and if it is not a rule violation, they make up a new rule so it is a rule violation. :(

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the sounding board!!!

by dti406

If you want sme real information, go to the SEC website and look up the UP's 10K report. The Annual Report is just pablum for the stockholders and does not tell the perosn who really wants to know anything. The 10K will go into greater detail rather than just lump things in one line.

Rick J.

by Paul

When I started on class one railroads, I was making $14.15 hr. That was in 1988. I am now making $19.62 hr. The last raises we recived were COLA raises provided by act of congress every six months we go with out contract. We have been with out contract for fifty four months. Contracts were tentativly agreed to and waited signing in February, 2001. Bush was apointed in January and the contracts were pulled off the table. Seems health care costs became the issue all of a sudden. That works out to an hourly increase of .34¢ a year.
Try this.. http://www.iamdl19.org/nationalagreement.html