• Rockefeller Coal and Feed, Ancram

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by SMullaney

My husband and I bought the property that Rockefeller Coal and Feed was on a few years ago. I came across an old photo of a train next to my barns on www.lakemirabel.com that just thrilled me! I knew the property was steeped in Railroad history, but actually seeing a picture was magnificent! I picture the train in my yard every time I look out the window now! Does anyone know of any other photos or info about the coal and feed business? ~Sally
  by cnefan

The photo that you wrote about was in reality a rather sad one to begin with. The train in the photo was not one that served customers on the line. It was the scrap train pulling up rails through the area at the end of 1938 after abandonment of the line.

Leroy Beaujon
Roseville, CA

by umtrr-author

I have a close friend who has a summer place in Ancram, not far from the paper mill that is a key (if not the key) reason for the place's existence.

We have found bits and pieces of Ancram history here and there but nothing specific about the Rockefeller Coal and Feed. You might try the library system in the area.

I would like to see the photo that you refer to but the website lakemirabel.com seems to go to a resort area in Quebec. Am I doing something wrong here?
  by Bernard Rudberg

The Mirabel web site is actually based in Quebec. You were on the right track. The actual URL for the photo is:

http://www.lakemirabel.com/Railroad/Rhi ... ticut.html

The web site has a couple hundred pictures of railroads in the area around the Mid Hudson Valley. I have supplied most of the photos from my collection.

Bernie Rudberg

by umtrr-author

Thanks for posting the link. I already passed it to my friend with the house in Ancram.

1938 abandonment? I guess I was a little late to see any trains there...
  by SMullaney

Thanks so much for your replies. It does make it a little sad that it was a picture of them taking up the tracks. The main reason we bought this property was because we loved the barns, so it's still pretty cool to have them in a historic photo. My husband has spent hundreds of hours working on the barns (with some help from me ;) ). The first thing we did was finish and repair the floors in the feed barn. A labor of love. The big tree to the left of the barn in the photo came down last year, just ?barely missing the barn. It was a very big tree and would have done a lot of damage.

Bernie, is there any way you could scan and send me via email a copy scanned with higher resolution so that when I blow it up I can see more detail?

I've tried several local historical books and talking to the older Ancram folk, but haven't gotten much info about the feed business. You can be sure I'll keep trying!
  by Bob D

I am the friend mentioned in a previous post that has a place in Ancram. You might want to try the Roeliff Jansen Historical Society in Copake Falls. They are open on Saturday and Sunday in the summer and may have some information on the history of the area. I am not sure if they have a collection of photos. Also, each town has a "Town Historian". I am not sure if they have specific hours, but the Town Hall might be able to give contact information. There is also a collection of historical photos at the Hillsdale Public Librtary, including some posted on their website.

I have been trying to find out where exactly the old railroad bed is. From the site that is referenced, it seems like the line may have hugged the Roe Jan. (My place does border the Roe Jan in part). I am very interested in any railroad history of the area. I have purchased a book on the history of what is now the Harlem Line. (Unfortunately, I left it at the other house, so I don't have the title and author available).
  by Bernard Rudberg

The picture on the web site was actually scanned out of a book written by Robert Nimke. He wrote a 3 volume set of books on the CNE Rwy but it is out of print now. The last set that I saw at a model train show was sold for $450. I have an autographed set that I used to scan that picture.

The printing in the book limits the quality of the finished scan. What you see on the web site is not much different than the page in the book. The other possibility would be to track down the original photo that Bob used and scan that.

I will try to do a more detailed scan but I don't think it will gain much detail.

Bernie Rudberg
  by Bernard Rudberg

I am also one of the organizers of the annual CNE historical tours. We toured the R&C and the Ancram area in April 2005. I write a guide book for each tour with around 200 to 250 pages of photos and history. The 2005 tour included the former R&C RR from Millerton and State Line across to Rhinecliff. The photos on the web site are a sample of what was in the guide book.

Also included were detailed topo maps of the route. I have those maps in my computer files if you want them. Just let me know where to send them. My E-Mail is

[email protected]

Bernie

by umtrr-author

Hey Bob D, welcome aboard...

I knew I'd get you over to the "dark side" one of these days :-D

[Yes, Bob and I are friends, have been since college, ah, quite some time ago.]